AVIC411.com

from D3 to ????

I have an Avic D3 in my Expedition and it has worked flawlessly since I installed it in 2007. Last year I bought a Mustang with a base stereo and now I am wanting to upgrade to something with navi and bluetooth. I looked around and found some Sony units that run Tom Tom software which is what I use for a portable unit.

My only concern is that my D3 works so well I think I owe it to myself to go with another Avic. I am looking for people who have made the jump from the D3 to something else and if they are happy with the new unit.

• 3 months later...

I plan to upgrade my jeep from the D3 to an F90BT that I just took out of the car I just traded off. The problem is, I put both systems in the cars several years ago and remember very little about the connections. Does anybody know if the plug connections on the back of a D3 are the same as the F90BT making it a quick change or am I going to be out in the driveway in the cold for an extended time rewiring for the F90BT?

I have the D3 in one car and the F90 in another. The F90 is a disappointing unit. It's slower and the OS crashes every now and then (has never happened in my D3). My unit (and yes it;'s updated) takes over 30 seconds to become functional when the car starts, the handsfree another 30 seconds.

One feature I liked in the D3 was phone # lookup for address. I use it and the F series dumped it.

I would look at the x series if anything at least it's faster. Avoid the F series.

I already have the F90BT. I've never had any problems with it crashing or locking up. I do agree however that it is tremendously slower at boot-up than the D3, but I would guess that is at least partially due to the fact that the F90 is running from a hard drive vs the memory built into the D3. I bought a new Ford truck with a Sony Sync system with nav, bluetooth and hard drive (among a bajillion other "toys" on the unit). I traded off a car that I had previously installed the F90BT in and removed the system before the trade. My D3, although booting much faster, is a real pain having to load a DVD to use the nav every time I go somewhere. Additionally, if I go on a long trip with the D3, it only keeps half of the trip in memory and I have to reload the disc half way through the trip to get the rest of the route. This was a problem I first noticed driving from north/central Illinois to see my son's Airborne graduation at Fort Benning, Georgia. I don't know if the problem existed before, but I never noticed it until I upgraded it a couple of years ago with new nav discs. Either way, the nav is much more convenient in the F90 and the built in bluetooth hands-free capabilities is another plus. I'm just wondering if the swap of the D3 currently in the Jeep to the F90 could possibly be as simple as unplugging on unit and plugging the other back into the existing plugs already wired??? It would be nice to know before I take the dash apart.