AVIC411.com

how to turn off HU

• 2 weeks later...

I wish i was still skilled in computer work i would try to get into the PC program on the Firemware and see what i could mess around with

there would be alot of things i would like to see if i could ajust and one of them would be shutting the screan off and only being able to turn it back on by the touch of a hard batton not the screan itself

• 3 weeks later...

I am pretty shocked that there is no way to simply turn the HU off. This is pretty annoying since whenever the key is in the ACC or ON position both the HU and my amp, since my amp is switched on via remote cable from the HU, come on. As a result, there is no built-in way to have the key in the ACC or ON position, and have both the HU and amp off.

Why do I care?

Because I have other units e.g. inverter, ham radio etc. installed in the car, that I would like to be able to switch on or off with the ACC or ON position on the key, but without the HU & amp always drawing power when the key is only in the ACC position & the car is off e.g. engine off, extended period, wanting to use inverter to power notebook, without HU & amp drawing current draining the battery more than is necessary.

As a solution to this, I am thinking of wiring a switch in series with the wire from the ACC on the car to the unit. Normally I'd leave it in the ON position, so the HU & amp automatically power up whenever the key is turned on, but have the ability to interrupt the ACC signal from the key to the HU, using the switch, to allow me to effectively switch off the HU & amp when desired. Any reason this wouldn't work?

------

The other thing that is pretty annoying, however is understandably standard practice is the following: whenever a car is started, the power to all accessories, incl. my HU & amp, is interrupted so the battery can supply max cranking current to the starter. No problem with that, since having the battery be able to supply max cranking current to the starter is desirable. However, in my car, since it's a diesel, I need to leave the key in the ACC position for around 10 secs until the glow plugs warm up.

So what happens is:

- I turn key to ACC position to warm glow plugs, HU & amp starts to power up

- When glow plug light goes out, I turn key past ON to START, power to accessories incl. HU & amp gets interrupted

- Release key to On, HU & amp power up again

It's a little annoying, and I worry that 2 power up cycles for the amp & HU every time I start the car may shorten the lifespan of either my HU and/or amp. Any smart solutions for this?

i was thinking of setting up a toggle switch to the Power Line on the Radio and that way i could cut it off and turn it on when i want to but i am not sure how that would work im scared that i might blow something out

but if anyone knows if this is a safe idea this might work for those who want to be able to have the HU turned off completely

Because I have other units e.g. inverter, ham radio etc. installed in the car, that I would like to be able to switch on or off with the ACC or ON position on the key, but without the HU & amp always drawing power when the key is only in the ACC position & the car is off e.g. engine off, extended period, wanting to use inverter to power notebook, without HU & amp drawing current draining the battery more than is necessary.

well if the headunit is in standby, you would be surprised at how little power it will consume, it should be right around 1 amp or less, most of the power consumed by a radio is from its amp, like wise, an amp shouldn't be using nearly any power with a zero signal coming in. especially if your using something like a power inverter, as long as it is in the standby mode (sources off, and not processing anything like a route) you would probably only be losing about five mins of battery time total. also most trucks have a constant on cig socket (both ford and chevy do, dodge has one of each) so that you shouldn't need to have the ignition on ACC if that is all that you are using. you could also wire in a constant on cig socket or rewire one of your so that it is one all the time if you dont have one.

using the switch, to allow me to effectively switch off the HU & amp when desired. Any reason this wouldn't work?

I need to leave the key in the ACC position for around 10 secs until the glow plugs warm up.

this will work fine, no issues at all, just put the switch inline with the red wire.

It's a little annoying, and I worry that 2 power up cycles for the amp & HU every time I start the car may shorten the lifespan of either my HU and/or amp. Any smart solutions for this?
well first off you dont have to worry about this being any trouble for your amp, however i do think this could be a potentially big issue fro the avic, as some systems files could get corrupted from continually stopping a computer from booting mid cycle. your switch ideal would take care of this as well. a more user friendly option would be to use a DEI pulse timer (528T) to keep the radio from powering up for a preset amount of time (around ten - fifteen seconds should be fine) but then this delay would only add to the already long ass boot time,

i was thinking of setting up a toggle switch to the Power Line on the Radio and that way i could cut it off and turn it on when i want to but i am not sure how that would work

it would work by preventing the turn on signal from reaching the radio, there is no danger in this at all (the ideal, there is always a danger if you are not sure what you are doing)

im scared that i might blow something out

but if anyone knows if this is a safe idea this might work for those who want to be able to have the HU turned off completely

yes this is a safe option for those people who need this as long as it is installed correctly. however you may have to pay extra for this option to have it installed for you. (see what i did there.lol)

it would work by preventing the turn on signal from reaching the radio, there is no danger in this at all (the ideal, there is always a danger if you are not sure what you are doing)

however you may have to pay extra for this option to have it installed for you. (see what i did there.lol)

Hahahaha very funny

i can do this my self

i installed the HU myself

i am not happy that way it is sitting not perfect in the dash i gause because i tried to get around cutting out part of the dash behind the radio i thought i could put all th elittle extras in other areas but not working out as i thought it would so i need to pull the HU

and cut out part of the dash to fit things

then the HU will fit flush like it should with no gaps

now back to the switch

il post more ones i get it done