AVIC411.com

AVIC not switching to rear view in reverse

How's it going I've been creeping around the site for a couple weeks now and the tech on this forum helped me install my x930bt with no problems. I got to say thanks to all the contributing posters for that!

Initially I install the head unit with the bypass but had not received my back up camera at that time. The reverse screen would appear every time I put the vehicle in reverse but yesterday I go back in to install a camera and now the H/U does not switch to the reverse screen when the shifter is in "R".

The rear camera does work in the rear facing option in the Nav window. But I have lost the automatic pop up reverse screen.

Since I lost the b/u window and ran out of time yesterday, I unplugged the rear camera completely and came back to it today. I really doubt it has anything to do with the camera itself since I completely unhooked it and the problems continued (also it works great in the nav window.)

The only thing that I found which could be a contributing factor was the reverse wire coming out of the H/U had a small knick out of it and I'm thinking this may have grounded out at some time while pushing the unit back into he dash.

Any thoughts or advice you guys can provide is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

What I'm working with...

2007 dodge ram 2500 diesel

AVIC X930BT

Boyo vtl300cir

ok so this is going to be very simple,

A: make sure that the option is turned on in the menu

B: make sure the polarity setting is right (negative for negative trigger reverse wire, and positive for positive trigger reverse wire)

C: verify that the wire is getting the correct signal with a DMM as close to the avic as possible

if the settings are correct, and the wire is getting the correct trigger and it is still not working, something in the unit is broke.

if the reverse wire was shorted out, and it was a positive wire, there could be a blown fuse or damage to one of the cars systems, and the signal isnt being sent.

• 2 months later...

This is for anyone having the problem stated at the top of this thread:

I had the same issue. I hooked up the reverse camera (using the reverse light for power, so only turns on when in reverse). I do CCTV systems for work, so I have a small battery-operated test monitor. I put the car in reverse and verified that I got a picture on the video wire. I connected the video wire to the proper reverse cam input RCA, and then I hooked the trigger wire to the purple/white wire on the harness going into my X930BT. I nearly went crazy because everyting was connected to spec, but the camera did not trigger properly. I could see the picture in the map with rear view mode (when in reverse gear to power on), but it would not trigger in normal mode.

I originally installed an X920BT, but it did not come with the power harness. I went to the local stereo shop and they found one that worked. I later decided to step "up" and installed an X930BT. Since the power harness fit, I did not see a point to cut the old one and install the new one.

Now I found the resolution to the reverse cam trigger problem: on the power that is installed in my vehicle, the purple/white and blue/white wires were reverse positions of the harness that came with the X930BT. I cut the trigger wire from the purple/white and connected it to the blue/white and now everything works perfectly.

So if you are having trouble with your AVIC and auto-trigger of a reverse cam, then make sure you have the right harness for your unit. If everything is hooked up properly and you have tested everything, then test voltage on the purple/white wire. I found it very strange that I was always getting +12V on the trigger input??? So I did my research, and luckily I had the right harness to reference and fixed the problem.