AVIC411.com

Backup camera question

Hey everyone, New member here.....

Picked up a 930bt for a xmas persent, My wife got me a boyo license back up camera, and i understand all the connections except the red and black wire... do i have to hook up to reverse light or can i hook the black to ground behind deck and my red to 12 volt constant power behind deck?

Installing deck friday morning.

Thanks for any help

Hey everyone, New member here.....

Picked up a 930bt for a xmas persent, My wife got me a boyo license back up camera, and i understand all the connections except the red and black wire... do i have to hook up to reverse light or can i hook the black to ground behind deck and my red to 12 volt constant power behind deck?

Installing deck friday morning.

Thanks for any help

The black needs to go to a ground and the red needs to go to a reverse light lead. There is a wire in the main harness that will also have to connect to a reverse light lead as well. The video cable will go to the reverse camera input.

Tony

actually black goes to ground but red goes to accessory power (same as the red from the radio harness)

first off, not all cars have positive trigger reverse lights, a lot of cars have a negitive trigger reverse light (this is why there is an option in the menu). with negitive trigger, the positive wire is always "hot" and the cars computer switches the negitive wire on and off, there fore the camera wuld never shut off and would drain the cars battery if it was connected to the positive wire in such cars.

second, by doing this, you will not have the full functionality as designed, the only time the camera will be on is when the car is in reverse. some people want the ability to be able to select the camera anytime (as to keep an eye on a trailer for example) and this feature would not be availible for this.

also i have seen some cameras take awhile to power on fully and adjust to the brightness, making this slightly inconvient when you have to wait 5-10 seconds extra everytime.

backup cameras have been covered in detph many many times, with a little searching, every question you could think of can be answered.