AVIC411.com

Another AVIC-Z1 upgrade success story

Some background: I have an AVIC-Z1 installed way back in 2006 in my Ford F-250. I had also created a separate "power switch" so I could override the security using the "flashing lights" method. Several years later and after having too many of the lockup problems in hot conditions problem, I updated the firmware to get this fix but this "broke"the override procedure! So I found the ground 2 wires procedure and installed that one and the override has been working ever since. The only thing bugging me were the maps were out of date (yup, I got in trouble a few times because of this) and my friends and family members who had moved to new locations could not be found by this thing. That, besides the fact that the Gracenote database was out of date and several entries of the disk library had bogus date/time stamps was mostly irritating my wife who always like to see who she's listening too.

Update: I recently purchased the last copy of CDNV-1000 from Crutchfield. After it was shipped to my house I went to the website and obtained the necessary password that ties these DVDs to my AVIC-Z1.

I then went out to the truck and as documented put the first DVD in the slot and the upgrade started. BUT, I forgot to configure the AVIC-Z1 for FM (or AM) because everything else is unavailable during the upgrade. Oh well, this means for the next 3 hours of driving I would have NO tunes.

I drove around for over an hour getting to 30% on the status bar. The next day I took another trip to complete the process monitoring the progress as it went along. At the 53% mark I was told to put in the other DVD and did so. A long time later, the update got to 100%, the system rebooted (that took a while), then the software got updated after a few more prompts and it was critical this process does NOT get interrupted. Fortunately, that only took about 5 minutes. Once again another reboot and it was all MOSTLY good. I say mostly because some settings had to be modified. However, the new Gracenotes database allowed me to correct the Library entries and I could now find the addresses to my friends in family and the override was still working. I am pretty happy about how it went other than 3 hours of driving it also cost me. It came out to $120 for the upgrade DVDs and about $40 worth of diesel fuel of arbitrary driving, but I'm ready for my next long trip and places to stop along the way. I got real lucky on the "trip" I took cuz everything got completed a few blocks before I drove up onto my driveway. Whew!