AVIC411.com

Question for VBLUE42: Pioneer vs. Kenwood

Sorry for the public post but can't seem to send you a PM. Actually, if anyone can chime in,, I'd appreciate it as I'm going nuts trying to figure out which way to turn.

VBLUE42- I noticed that you are both active on AVIC411 as well as Kenwood forums. I currently have an old AVIC-N3 and I'm about to buy a new car. It appears you have experience with both Pioneer and Kenwood. I know it's a personal choice but based upon your experience and what's current, DNX9990 / AVIC-Z140, do you have a personal preference? I was going to go for the Z140 (I know everyone's bitching about voice command being taken away) but was curious to see if the app mode was really worth it (for me it's an iPod Touch w/MiFI). However, I also own a Garmin 3490LMT for when I travel and I like the fact that I can tinker with the unit in Mass Storage Mode by adjusting the files in the hidden .System folder. However, it appears there is no USB service port on the DNX9990. My head is spinning trying to make a decision and I wasn't sure if you own either or both of these units (maybe neither for that matter). Anyway, was just looking for additional input before going forward.

Thanks again.

First of all I no longer own any head unit. Because of these manufactures lack of innovation and ability to offer a unit with the wealth of features I have spoiled myself to I no longer am satisfied with the meager offerings they release. For me its all in-dash iPad now and I couldn't be more satisfied with that decision. Now, all that being said it really is a toss up. They both offer features that I would want but neither comes close to all the features I would require in one head unit. But if I had to choose I would have to be the 9990HD. I hate the fact that they removed the voice control, and 3D buildings for navi as well as the USB service port on the rear but compared to the 140 it is still the best choice in my opinion. The biggest complaint I have always had with the current series from Pioneer is the absolutely piss poor navi. There have also been complaints with the archaic way the app mode works and complaints about how the new Navteq maps work. To me, if your going to have a cool feature like app mode it needs to work in a fashion that doesn't make you scratch your head or frustrate you. I will say that the iDevice interface and overall system interface of the Pioneer units is superior to the Kenwood UI but not to the extent that the Pioneer units would win me over. The biggest complaint over the last couple of years about the Kenwood units was the severally laggy UI that has apparently been addressed with the 9990. All of this said both of these units or any other unit for that matter pail in comparison to what can be accomplished with an in-dash installed iPad or other tablet so that is why I can no longer be satisfied with any head unit. I now have a demo video of my iPad setup that I will be uploading to my Youtube channel soon for those that have been demanding to see my setup so if you can wait a couple more days to make your decision i may give you another avenue to consider. I hope I have helped and not added to your confusion and frustration.

Thanks for the reply. I look forward to the demo video of the iPad. Only thing about that setup is those rare occasions where you're out of cell service range for the Nav but if you're using an app that caches the map data, then it could work. As for the 9990, I just wish they left the service port. I feel these manufacturers are just dumbing these products down more and more and you're right absolutely right about the piss poor navi in the Pioneer. I find my portable Nuvi superior to my N3 when it comes to junction views and lane assist (for example).

Anyway, thanks again for your reply and I'll be awaiting your demo video RE: the iPad setup. Please post a link when ready.

Just watched all the videos. Thanks for posting. I don't currently have an iPad or amp but I maybe getting an iPad for work soon. I currently have a Motorola Xoom Android tablet which could probably work just fine but the dimensions are much thicker than the iPad so I may wait until I get the iPad. Anyway, all this is great stuff as it gives me some alternate ideas. I just wish the head units were as slick but they really stink. My Garmin 3490LMT blows away the navigation in my AVIC-N3. The Z140 doesn't seem much better but I haven't fully ruled it out just yet (nor the Kenwood DNX9990HD-except for the removal of the service port which pisses me off since I like to tinker in the .System folder).

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to do this.

• 4 months later...

I THINK next month. iPhone 5 on Wednesday and iPad Mini in October was what I heard last. I have an Android tablet myself but I'm not jumping just yet.

I think you're right though. There will me more and more of this and then the head unit manufacturers are gonna have to think twice about their products!