AVIC411.com

Changing the main menu / software

Hi All,

My AVIC F900BT arrived yesterday, and I had chance to hook it up last night and have a quick play around.

I have to say that first impressions I'm a little underwhelmed :(

The main menu system (eg. the non NAV bits) is very dated looking, and I was very disappointed at the music playing screen - no album art display (i'm not using ipod) very small window for track names, nasty looking buttons etc..

I saw a video on youtube when I was researching the unit (since I couldn't find one locally to play with) and it had some much nicer looking menus with a bit of animation between (a bit like the primo screen transitions).

I think it was an x920bt in the video, but from looking on here I came to the conclusion that the software was the same for F and X series since I found a 3.1 software version which was said to work on both.

So, is there any way to get a nicer interface? - I'm not talking about just skinning things, I mean moving bits, making areas larger (like the track name etc..) getting album art display etc..

Second question is, does the entire unit run on WindowsCE ? or just the navigation part?

I'm guessing if its the whole unit then I could replace the media player with some other app to maybe get the things I'm after?

Unfortunatley I won't have too much tinkering time in the next few days, so if anyone can clarify it would be great!

The main menu system (eg. the non NAV bits) is very dated looking

You do realize this is a three old plus year old unit right?

no album art display (i'm not using ipod)

By design. Still that way with the latest units.

I saw a video on youtube when I was researching the unit (since I couldn't find one locally to play with) and it had some much nicer looking menus with a bit of animation between (a bit like the primo screen transitions).

I think it was an x920bt in the video, but from looking on here I came to the conclusion that the software was the same for F and X series since I found a 3.1 software version which was said to work on both.

Wrong! The F/first gen X series and the euro F/second gen X series are two totally different units and software cant be shared. You have a first gen F series.

So, is there any way to get a nicer interface? - I'm not talking about just skinning things, I mean moving bits, making areas larger (like the track name etc..) getting album art display etc..

No. The system interface can be re-skinned but can not be significantly modded. The only part that can be is the navi portion of the unit.

Second question is, does the entire unit run on WindowsCE ? or just the navigation part?

I'm guessing if its the whole unit then I could replace the media player with some other app to maybe get the things I'm after?

People have tried for years to figure this out and have not. And as far as we know its the navi portion only that runs on CE.

Lastly, all of this has been covered on this forum for years now. Have yourself a long read of the threads in the F/X series forums. All info regarding any units other then the F90/900/700/ and X910/710 should be excluded as they are different units and not compatible with the wealth of hacks and mods on this forum.