AVIC411.com

manually turn on backup camera

I know this radio is capable of doing this and I can see the option to turn it on in the system menu, but how do you do this if the camera is powered by the reverse lights. My camera works just fine when in reverse mode but if I manually turn it on I get a black screen. I know this is a power issue with the camera. What have you guys done to remedy this?

It is most definitely powered by the reverse lights as per the instructions. There is an RCA that goes to the receiver along with 1 wire that connects to the reverse signal sense wire of the head unit. A red and black wire that comes off the harness for the camera that attaches to positve 12volt signal that goes to the reverse brake lights. The black wire goes to chassis ground.

It is a $12 camera off amazon and works amazingly well just not for manual turn on.

I dont have access to the install manual of the AVH but I looked at the manual for the 140 and I can see how you might see it that way and the manual is not clear even when it discusses rear view. Never connect the cameras red wire to the reverse signal. It gets connected to the red wire from the head unit. That will fix your problem.

Violet/white

Of the two lead wires connected to the back lamp, connect the one in which the voltage changes when the gear shift is in the REVERSE ® position. This connection enables the unit to sense whether the car is moving forwards or backwards.

This is taken directly from the manual. I connected the red wire of the camera to the wire on the back lamp which is +12 volts. The opposite end of the red wire connects to the violet line on the radio. As I said before this setup works and when the car is switched into reverse the camera does turn on. But where does the 12 volts come from when the car is not in the reverse position?

As VBLUE is trying to say, the camera power should be connected to ignition power. The AVIC reverse sensor wire gets connected to the reverse lights.

ok now that makes sense. What Vblue was saying did not make sense mostly cuz he didnt explain it. thank you guys. Sorry I was confused.