AVIC411.com

My AppRadio 2 + iPhone 4S Issues

I was wondering if anyone else running stock AppRadio 2 and iPhone 4S have noticed these issues. Its very difficult for me to contact Pioneer during their support hours, especially to work thorugh issues that are chronic but sporatic. Their email support basically only address yes/no questions it needs. So I end up getting no where with them.

Issue#1 - "The Black Hole Screen" (Have seen this posed many times) Chronic black/blank screens in iPOD and Pandora AR2 applications. Have seen once in AppRadio mode (in the Car Media Player) on a longer trip (ie 2.5 hours) happen once. HItting one of the Android buttons forces the screen to display a "... for android phones only..." message. Then you can hit the home button to snap out of the black hole screen.

Issue#2 - "Chasing the Dog" I will find occassions where the AR2 + iPhone AppRadio app will sync up quickly and easily. Other times, its like chasing the dog down the street. I have found this issue manifests itself when the two have not accounted for a situation as a normal case. For instance, I willl have my iPhone 4S paired via bluetooth, press and hold the iPhone 4S home button, Siri prompts over bluetooth, I will say "call my mother", and Siri does her thing, and a call goes out to my Mother. Although the AR2 will have the phone slide out UI with buttons, it will overlay that with the "please launch the AppRadio application from your smartphone..." message with the "ignore" button. The iPhone will sometimes pop up with the "allow" or "decline" to launch AppRadio. You can hit ignore on the AR2 and decline on the 4S and return to the call control on the AR2. However AFTER you hang up the call on the AR2, you are chasing the dog trying to get the AR2 to resule music playback from any of the AppRadio mode media apps, let alone get the AR2 and AppRadio apps to sync back up again. I almost always have to unhook the iPhone, kills the apps (ie AppRadio, Car Media Player, etc...), and reconnect and launch the AppRadio app again... THEN accept all the "warnings" over again. All of this while seemingly "parked" somewhere.

Issue#3 - "Why did the music stop?" As a club DJ... I love love love MixTrax. I love no dead space between tracks, choosing a mood, creating one yourself, or create a mix on the fly based on a random song that pops up. The downside - the party in a car stops as soon as you leave the app. So I cant have a MixTrax session started as I pop over to the MotionX App to route somewhere. This sort of makes this app useless if you need to answer a phone call or use GPS/Navigation. Other media apps maintain the audio, even when you switch apps. Maybe its just going to be a limitation because of the active nature of the application. But it would be fantastic if this thing would work while multitasking with GPS

Issue#4 - "Music but no Video" I can play music via my iPOD app. But as soon as I flip to video, its all audio and no video. This is no matter the status of my parking break. I can get the AppRadio video to display since GPS and other pictorial apps are working. But its very hit or miss if Videos will play. I have some concerts on video that is nice to listen to on long trips or shows my passengers can watch as I am driving us about.

Issue#5 - "The danger is in the message not the action" - Pioneer, please tell your lawyers all the messages are more of a danger than protection against arbitration. Seriously, I am trying to overcome some of the issues above to get my music or control back with in reach... and I have to reaccept messages that I have not only accepted this trip, but every trip I have taken (short or long) in the past 30+ days! Please just give me a 'settings' option where I can just "accept all warnings... display me the "i accept the responsibility for driving this vehicle responsibly and legally" and let me be done with it... once and for all! You have absolutely KILLED this product with all these random messages and warning. You are connecting to an iPhone... it should just work. :)

Lastly, for sharing purposes. The place who installed my unit also connected an HDMI cable to a 30 PIN (apple) to HDMI/30 PIN adapter. The iPhone 4S mirrors incredibly to the AppRadio. You cant control, but you can push the display on screen. So if you are listening to SiriusXM and not flipping stations alot... its nice to see the channel, artist, title, show info right on the AppRadio. However, I bought a BracketTron (http://www.bracketron.com/) Grip-IT vent mount. It is by far the best smartphone mount I have purchased. My iPhone sits right beside the AppRadio on the drivers side. So its very easy and safe to hit a button from time to time on the iPhone when the need arises. I have noticed that you can launch the Applications on the AR2, but then flip your iPhone to say the SiriusXM or iHeartRadio app... and the audio (very strongly) transmits to the AR2 stereo. Control is still on the iPhone, but with my bracket, I can still see what I need to see. Obviously an Advance AppMode extenstion from SiriusXM would be greatly appreciated. But none the less, being used to having Sirius XM receiver directly attached to my 3300BT spoiled me alot. :)

Sorry for a long first post... but its very difficult to fine an outlet to share problems, ideas, and solutions since Pioneer does not have a forum for its consumer products. Any confirmation on the above would be greatly appreciated, or if you have a stock based solution. :)

All the best,

Chad

Having had my App Radio 2 installed now for a few weeks, I have the same frustrations with my iPhone 4. Additionaly, why does the FM radio stop working every time I exercise an app? I would actually like to hear the radio when I use a map or nav application. I don't want to listen to iPod, I need to hear the news or local traffic on the radio. Just frustrating.

The FM isn't as clear as the factory radio the AR2 replaced. Now most FM stations have some static. tried playing around with the antenna jack to no avail.

The iPhone works as a phone well enough but the contacts or list calls received or placed lists show up when pressed for about 2 seconds then the list shows blanks preceded by a list "g5" or "p5"'s. No idea why.

If the parking switch is "off" the phone dial pad and setting buttons are grey. Whats up with that? Isn't it more dangerous to have to pick up the phone and dial a number on the phone that the AP2 screen? The whole point of bluetooth was so I can use the phone while driving. Having to stop, apply the brake so I can dial is not brilliant.

Installed in 2004 Mercury Mountaineer with park switch (works well enough)

The "G5" error seems to happen when the built in tuner is on, I'm sure a Bluetooth firmware update in the future will fix it, if you tuen the radio off it goes away.

The other issues with slow app switching , Panndora, "chasing the dog" , music stopping are all exclusive to using the AppRadio with an iPhone. I have both iPhone and Android phones and was ready to return the AppRadio the first week I had it since I didn't have the Android kit, once I got the Android kit most of the issues went away, it's not perfect but much better than the iPhone experience. I believe the issue stems from the way iOS does multitasking , it sacrifices proper multitasking for energy saving and makes apps "freeze" in the background where Android apps stay fully running in the background. Android devices also don't force you to press the "accept" button on the phone screed avery time the AppRadio application requests permission to start.

I do agree that the warning messages are annoying, I believe the reason you cannot turn them off permanently is because there may be multiple drivers of the same vehicle, they should limit it to only one warning message on power up and then stop. Part of the blame for the parking brake warning can be put on forums like this one though, it makes Pioneer aware of all the ways people are bypassing and then they take measures to counter it.

Part of the blame for the parking brake warning can be put on forums like this one though, it makes Pioneer aware of all the ways people are bypassing and then they take measures to counter it.

Pioneer doesn't typically attempt to counter the circumvention of their motion lockout due to the bypasses that forums like this develop. In fact, they design the units with an intent to have a hidden bypass. This allows them to satisfy the law and liability concerns but still offer a way to get around it for users and still give them deniability.

Pioneer is going about this utterly the wrong way. Instead of warning people every damn time about these issues, what they should do is simply grey out what can't be done when the device is in motion. That way people don't do what Pioneer doesn't want them to do while driving and we don't get dangerous safety messages while driving.

Totally agree. I've had the appradio 2 installed for three days and I'm ready to throw it away. Only question is what to replace it with. Back to factory unit or something else? I feel like a total chump hitting ok or ignore three times (ok i accept that i wont do anything bad, ignore the fact my iphone us locked, ok i wont watch video while driving - not possible anyway) everytime I want to listen to the radio. All I needed was the ability to charge my phone while listening to music and the sales guy really took me for a ride. So pissed.

Had to uninstall pandora from my phone too because it would repeatedly try to take over and then I'd get more warnings and blank screens.

• 2 months later...

I guess I had notifications off on this thread. I didnt think anyway responded. A few months later, I have learned to deal / work around most issues. However the one issue that is COMPLETELY frustrating is the Pandora and iPod embedded applications!!!! These are like the staples to the whole unit. But I constantly get black screens in the middle of music playback. The iPhone 4S stays completely full on with the AppRadio screen or the Pandora Accessory screen. But I can barely listen to a full song without the music slightly cutting out and the screen going black. I have a ticket open for 2 months with Pioneer.

I basically STOPPED using Pandora completely and just playing using via the CarMedia Player. But that sucks because it never remembers what song or playlist that I was playing before I stopped, disconnected, ran in somewhere, and came back. So I have followed back up with Pioneer and they have been more responsive. But they say this isnt an issue that is getting reported, but I have seen forums, videos, etc... online staying the same problem.

Is anyway STILL having the Pandora or iPOD black out screens? I have tried to video the experience, but it happens so randomly I cant ever catch it on film. Funny enough, Pioneer asked if I could test with another iPhone. I happen to use an iPhone 4 for work. So I downloaded Pandora and AppRadio app. The Pandora and iPod works beautifully. The AppRadio 2 does NOT pause or black screen on me at all. I have only tested for 2 days on my commute to/from work (30 minutes 1 way). But I use the iPhone 4S on my 15 minute drive to/from the gym and it will pause and blank screen on me 4-5 times each way. The music will continue to playback, but the cut out is noticable, annoying, and requires some fancy finger work with the buttons in order to get the screen back.

To get the screen back:

Option 1) press either of the android buttons, when the "these buttons are only for Android" message is displayed, simply press the home button on the AR2

Option 2) double press the home button, touch the screen off icon on the far left, and then press the home button.

Either of these will take you back to the home screen. Simply pressing home will NOT do anything. Alternative and last resort is to disconnect and reconnect.

I am taking my iPhone 4S to Apple Store tomorrow to just ensure I do not have a problem with the 30 pin port or OS. I have wiped the phone, restored from back up, etc... Still get the issue. I had this same phone when I had a Pioneer 3300BT and via Pandora Link, I had not issues/cut outs.

If anyone else is having this issue: Pandora or iPod black screen and momentary pauses of music.... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE call Pioneer, post in this forum, etc... ANYTHING. Better yet, if you have found a solution.... please share!

Also - regarding the playback of radio and mixtraxx while multi tasking to other AppRadio compatible apps, here are your steps to listen while using another app like Motion X or Inrix.

1) Begin playback of the radio or mixtraxx.

2) click home and navigate to the app you want to use.

3) once in the app you are going to use (ie motion x, inrix, best parking, etc..) double tap the AppRadio Home button

4) Press the PLAY icon on the popup menu along the bottom.

5) Playback of your music source (ie Radio or MixTraxx) should resume.

For some reason, the Embedded iPod and Pandora players, EC Touch and CarMediaPlayer AR apps, etc... will keep playing music when switching applications. But for some reason the Radio and MixTraxx will pause when you exit their UI on the AR. But the double tap home should give you access to resume playback from those sources.

• 8 months later...