AVIC411.com

F930BT - converting media

Hi guys,

for documentation purposes I just want to share my experiences for converting media files (e.g. video files) for the Pioneer AVIC-F930BT (bought in Germany).

1. As "Windows Movie Maker" for Windows 7 comes as an easy download I tried this WMV format first. But all custom bitrates and other settings had no success. So I rejected this format.

2. MPEG4 or H.264 as video format for MP4 and M4V with AAC for audio on SD and USB doesn't work well. The sound/video is choppy.

3. I got my best converting-experiences with "ffmpeg" which you can download at http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

I recommend the builds called "static". Personally I use "FFmpeg git-9c27f29 64-bit Static (Latest)" which is 64bit.

The downloads come in 7zip-format. So if you need a small 7zip-unpacker goto http://sourceforge.n...20.zip/download and grab this little unpacker for the "DOS-Box".

Once downloaded and unpacked this "ffmpeg"-7zip-file you will have a file called "ffmpeg.exe" which is all you need. It has all the required encoders and decoders built in.

Next you'll find out that "ffmpeg.exe" is a command line tool, which has no Graphical User Interface (GUI) and needs to be executed from a command prompt (cmd.exe). So you might be scared - but don't worry. The tutorial is near...

The following command line parameters for ffmpeg.exe are working for my Pioneer AVIC-F930BT with DVD (rewritable), SDHC and USB. I put this command line in a batch file called ffbatch.cmd so I can use %1 as input file and %2 as output file.

Here we go:

ffmpeg.exe -i %1 -vcodec mpeg4 -vtag DX50 -r 30 -s 640x360 -aspect 16:9 -b:v 896k -acodec libmp3lame -ar 44100 -b:a 128k %2

Parameters explained:

-i %1

-i is used to specify the input file (replace %1 with a real filename). Without further parameters it shows you detailed information about your source file.

-vcodec

specifies the video codec for the conversion (here mpeg4)

-vtag DX50

sets a (video)flag to remember the output file as a DivX 5.0 file instead of a Xvid file (which is default). This parameter is important!

-r 30

sets the frame rate to 30 frames per second (Hz).

-s 640x360

sets the size (resolution) to 640x360 pixel which is the same as 16:9

-aspect 16:9

forces the ratio to be the same as defined with -s. I found out that this parameter can be important.

Hint: you can also use "-s 480*320" and "-aspect 4:3".

-b:v 896k

Bitrate for video. 896k video + 128k audio = 1024k total should work

-acodec libmp3lame

use MP3-encoder for audio

-ar 44100

use 44100 Hz for audio sampling

- b:a 128k

use 128,000 bit rate for audio

%2

used for output file when used with a batch file

Using these basic parameters I was able to convert a lot of my videos for use on a USB-Hard-Disk with my AVIC-F930BT. I hope this will help some of you in this forum...

Best regards,

F930BT

• 2 weeks later...