AVIC411.com

x930bt - Navigation Routing Issues

I have seen mention of this problem in some posts but never really a direct answer or suggested solution, so I am going to offer the problem directly in hopes of a possible solution:

When I enter a destination and the 930bt calculates the route it will very often send me a long way out of the way, often in ways that don't even make sense, i.e. on the route selection map, I can see a better way. Even after selecting the Multiple routes option, it lists the same route 6 times (offering no other option). In many cases it seems to want me to follow numbered highways even in town, despite main streets that are obviously shorter distance and faster time.

Once on a trip to a location I am familiar with, I entered the destination just to see what would happen. The routes it offered me took me 20 miles out of my way just to travel on an interstate, but then back up the same state highway that I would have been on in the most direct route.

I am very frustrated by this. This is the first gps unit I have ever owned, but have used them in rental cars with quite a bit of success. It seems that this gps system doesn't work the way it is supposed to. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

My wife has had a similar experience with her Garmin GPS. It may be something about all GPS units to some degree. If you have some idea of the best route, could you chose some way points to "force" a better route?

I'm amazed that they can give directions at all!

The navi on this unit is truly a piece of junk. I recently had to go to a fairly well known hotel in NY. The address wasn't even there. Luckily I had my iPhone running TomTom with me and it was able to pull up the address and get me right to my destination.

It's amazing how sometimes it will say to turn left when I am turning right. Completely useless piece of garbage. If I had only waited until this year I would be installing a Kenwood with Garmin. I am completely fed up with this thing. I have a new Rav4 that I was going to instal a Z140BH. Not now. Going Kenwood or Alpine.

• 1 month later...