AVIC411.com

CD-IU51V - digital or analog audio from Ipod?

Who knows the answer for sure? I've heard that for audio (mp3) playback, the audio signal is digital through the USB connection into the AVIC, and for video playback, the sound is routed analog through the mini-jack into the AVIC. I've also heard that for both audio and video, the audio signals are analog and routed through the mini-jack. Help.

It's all analog over the AV mini-plug. Simple to prove - just unplug the mini plug and try playing ipod audio (mp3 or aac), You will be able to control the ipod, but you won't see cover art or hear anything.

• 3 weeks later...

It's all analog over the AV mini-plug. Simple to prove - just unplug the mini plug and try playing ipod audio (mp3 or aac), You will be able to control the ipod, but you won't see cover art or hear anything.

That's weird, just tried it. When I unplugged the miniplug, there was still mp3 audio playing through the ipod connector. This is with an ipod mini gen2.

Which ipod did you try it with?

That's weird, just tried it. When I unplugged the miniplug, there was still mp3 audio playing through the ipod connector. This is with an ipod mini gen2.

Which ipod did you try it with?

Hmmm, I wonder if they changed the way it works. Obviously the data was always directly available over the 30 pin connector, but that doesn't translate well to the USB serial interface. Files can be accessed directly over USB, so maybe they do it via files. I haven't tried it with my iTouch, or since I upgraded from the Z110 firmware. My old iPod was a Classic - I forgot exactly what they called it.

The classic and older nano's worked differently than the iOS series (and new nano's) on what and how they can transfer of the iPod data connector.

Most new cars are designed with the ability for you to take your stock iPod cable and just plug it into the USB port on the radio. Why Pioneer hasn't implemented that feature is beyond me. A special cable is a bit annoying.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...