AVIC411.com

I am attempting to use tasker to create a profile for the AP to make life easier on me. The main culprit is the keyboard, I don't want to have to use Pioneers keyboard at all. So setting the phone to go back to my normal settings after I leave the vehicle is a good start. Anyone else tried using Tasker to help improve the Appradio experience.

Here's my setup so far:

Profile: Appradio - Bluetooth connected, address (deck conection)

Task: Docked:

1 Stay on - Mode (with AC or usb power)

2 Keyguard - set off

3 Auto Brightness - set off

4 Display brightness - level 0

5 Flash - text (Appradio on)

6 Rotation Locker - Configuration state landscape

7 Input Method Select (pops up a window to select Carradio or Swift-X keyboard)

Exit task: Undocked

1 Music Stop - Off

2 Keyguard - set on

3 Flash - test (Appradio off)

4 Auto Brightness - set on

5 Rotation Locker - Configuration state auto

6 Input Method Select (pops up a window to select Carradio or Swift-X keyboard)

It forces the phone to stay in landscape and stay on while connected. When I realized that modifying the brightness doesn't affect the mirror, I turn off the brightness altogether to save battery power. I still have to manually select the keyboard by pressing one button, but if I was willing to root my phone I could even remove that step and make it fully automatic. When I unplug the phone the music stops and everything goes back to normal.

Nice!

I've done most of the same as what you've done, except I can't set my screen brightness to 0 since my phone ignores that. I've also had it auto select my keyboard using the secure settings plugin so I have carkeyboard when plugged in, and it switches back to SwiftkeyX when I'm done. I also have AppRadio as a launch condition, so if the app isn't running it won't launch the task.

Nice!

I've done most of the same as what you've done, except I can't set my screen brightness to 0 since my phone ignores that. I've also had it auto select my keyboard using the secure settings plugin so I have carkeyboard when plugged in, and it switches back to SwiftkeyX when I'm done. I also have AppRadio as a launch condition, so if the app isn't running it won't launch the task.

Does the secure setting plugin require root? I saw a keyboard swap plugin but it doesn't work without root.

I have to try the appradio being the launch condition, Sometimes bluetooth isn't connecting automatically for me.

Yup, it requires root. Android has made it so that you can't switch keyboards without either user interaction or root. Same thing with activating the built in GPS on the device (although there is no need to with the deck supplying the GPS signal).

Yup, it requires root. Android has made it so that you can't switch keyboards without either user interaction or root. Same thing with activating the built in GPS on the device (although there is no need to with the deck supplying the GPS signal).

I just rooted my Nexus, seeing if I can set up the keyboards...

Set up the task to run off the app starting. One thing I noticed is that every time I pressed the home button on the deck it reran the task. I wouldn't normally have been able to notice but since I added the text box saying "appradio on" I saw it every time. There was no Bluetooth issues running it this way.

Bonus the keyboard flipped without any intervention on my part. When I unplugged it went back. Awesome!

I truly believe no Android phone is complete without root access. lol

I'm still working on the Bluetooth bug. I wish there was a way to have Tasker automatically click the OK button when it pops up the dialog asking me to confirm the code the deck sends to my phone every time it starts up.

I tried to have the task turn on and off Bluetooth when I was in the truck. It was a disaster. Every time I pressed the home button it would turn off the Bluetooth and lose contact with the phone. So that's out, at least as long as I have the task running off the app itself.

I know its only a matter of finding the right combination of tasks to find the sweet spot.

Awesome tip on keyboard switching...never thought of that....

If your root, I highly suggest an app called Root Dim along with the 3rd party plugin for tasker called open shortcut. Root dim allows you to drop your phone well below the factory "0" brightness. The factory wont let u dim past a ""safe" spot so you don't lock yourself out of the phone. Root dim installs shortcuts for up to 5 presets. Use tasker with open shortcut to auto dim your screen as dark as possible. I'm on a GN so not sure if backlit devices have a way of just killing the backlight all together but for now...Rootdim has been the best solution for me to tackle the annoying double screen.

I tried that app on the Skyrocket and unfortunately there seems to be a kernel lock on the screen's brightness. Set on 1 the screen is still quite bright.

What really needs to happen here is Google needs to make it so that the screen can be turned off while using HDMI output.

What really needs to happen here is Google needs to make it so that the screen can be turned off while using HDMI output.

Yup, just like on a laptop. It would be the perfect solution to save precious battery life. Until then we can get pretty close with tasker.

I'll give root dim a try, With my setting at 0 right now its not bad but I can still see everything just fine. I would like to drop quite a bit further then that. Just bright enough to be able to see the screen should I run into trouble so I can select my abort short cut. I figured I better have one on the screen with all my playing, sometime I get funny results, and need an easy way to reset the phone.

I have added a few more lines that kill all the pioneer apps when I disconnect the phone. Right now the last app I was using stays running on the phone. That way no matter what apps I have used the phone goes back to stock