AVIC411.com

What will happen to Google Maps on App Radio with iOS6 Coming Out ?

Good morning, I registered just because of this thread. I recently purchased an AppRadio last Saturday and have been for the most part happy with it. Also being an Apple dev, I updated one of my devices (iPhone 4S) to iOS6 the other day, and my AppRadio has experience has been almost intolerable since, not that I wasn't expecting troubles since it is a beta OS after all.

Here is what I have found so far:

Maps: After using it a lot in the past three days, I can say that it works, but with numerous issues that make it almost unusable in a live, driving environment.

• Occasional "Failed to Receive a GPS Signal" errors; despite having 8-10 active (orange) satellites.
  • Map scrolling is erratic and jerky, frequently over-scrolls, then abruptly jumps back. Sometimes this smooths out after a few minutes.
  • Location tracking isn't always accurate; sometimes the blue dot will also jump back to a previous point a few pixels from the current location.
  • Pinch to zoom does not work.
  • The scroll slider does not work as expected anymore, sliding it to one side or another only results in a very small change in map zoom level.
  • Maps will sometimes lock up if location tracking is enabled while zooming map view.
  • Frequently stops updating map tiles, requires backing out of map app and going back into it to restart map drawing.

CarMediaPlayer / iPod Audio App: works pretty good still.

• Metadata (track, title, etc) does not always update to reflect the actual track playing. This has happened twice so far.
  • Next/Previous track presses do not always initiate the action, despite the radio showing the button press.

Pandora: Works great!

Overall:

• App launching on the iPhone is broken. Most of the time, the AppRadio app will auto launch and connect only the first time after cold-booting the phone. Sometimes it will work for a while (i.e. going to work) but later in the day (after work), fail to connect at all with a black screen until I reboot the phone. Task killing apps on the phone does not fix it.
  • App switching between AppRadio app and CarMediaPlayer no longer works. The apps will switch, but always fail to connect. The work around is to either task-kill the apps, or switch to the home screen, then back into the app on the iPhone, not the radio.

While the list is long, I do not believe the issues are very wide-spread. It would seem that Pioneer needs to update how they work with Apples updated Maps API, and also iron out some app switching issues.

Also, am I the only one wondering where the contacts app is? The box shows an icon for a contacts app, but the only way I can find contacts is to go into the phone menu, and select contacts as an option. Why is there not an icon there?