AVIC411.com

Considering the Avic Z110BT

Is the Pioneer navigation that bad ?

Yes. If you have no basis of comparison and this is your first navi then you will likely enjoy it. But if you are like a lot of us that know there is far better you will think its absolute garbage.

Is the Z110 hackable like the older Avic models?

No.

Yes. If you have no basis of comparison and this is your first navi then you will likely enjoy it. But if you are like a lot of us that know there is far better you will think its absolute garbage.

No.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't think I could live with a horrible GPS navigation. I think I'll start considering the Kenwood DNX series which uses Garmin algorithms.

No.

I wouldnt say its "absolute garbage". it is very misleading when you consider software wise it will be Z140BT with a update. Of course there are hardware improvements with the Z140 but come on. its not bad at all

What hardware improvements? The 140 is 95% the same hardware unit as the 110 from 2009. And the consensus here on this forum from many users is that the navi is garbage. Thats just my opinion but I find it hard to believe that anyone that has experience with many navis could find this unit "not bad at all" in reference to the navi.

I wouldnt say its "absolute garbage". it is very misleading when you consider software wise it will be Z140BT with a update. Of course there are hardware improvements with the Z140 but come on. its not bad at all

You gotta watch out for the "navi whores" who nit pick navigation systems down to the most minute detail. The Pioneer system if you are a casual navigation user (as in you type in the address before you leave the house and don't use it too often) then the system is fine. The Z140 NavTeq maps are better than the TeleAtlas maps but that's only because they are more up to date.

My father has a Portable Garmin and it is the easiest most intuative interface ever. Does that mean other navigation systems are crap? No it just means they have poor UI. Lots of perfectly good (and usable products) have poor UI.

I plan on using the navigation occassionaly for this vehicle. Being used to the Garmin might make it hard to like the Z110BT navigation.

In order to upgrade the Z110 to the Z140, Will I need to purchase any upgrade kits or can it be hacked?

What's a good price for a used Z110 with all wiring harnesses and a backup camera?

The App Radio is going to be my next unit.

Your kidding right? the UI is much better but not consistent from app to app and has tons of bugs! I am guessing you are looking for more of the entertainment factor? the first gen you couldnt even switch between apps without touching your phone. maybe gen 2 changes things but i am guessing not by much.

What hardware improvements? The 140 is 95% the same hardware unit as the 110 from 2009. And the consensus here on this forum from many users is that the navi is garbage. Thats just my opinion but I find it hard to believe that anyone that has experience with many navis could find this unit "not bad at all" in reference to the navi.

You know most product releases that are annual have the same kind marginal improvements. There is a lot of RD & testing that has to be done with any product before realease. Now if the Z140 was suppose to be the next generation AVIC. you would have valid concern, but it is not. BTW if it is garbage why are you still posting on the forum?

I plan on using the navigation occassionaly for this vehicle. Being used to the Garmin might make it hard to like the Z110BT navigation.

In order to upgrade the Z110 to the Z140, Will I need to purchase any upgrade kits or can it be hacked?

What's a good price for a used Z110 with all wiring harnesses and a backup camera?

Google and eBay are your friends!

Well Im not wasting my time. The OP did ask for other peoples opinions based on concerns he had because of the many other numerous complaints about the navi on these units. I merely gave my opinion. The fact is that I have intimate knowledge about all of the units in this class as well as others units from different series and other manufactures. When someone spends the amount of money Pioneer is asking for a unit marketed as a "Navi" unit it should be expected that the unit will focus on that function and not offer less options and functions then a one hundred dollar portable or even worse, a .99 cent iOS app. Pioneer dropped the ball horribly on the navi of these units and they should be reminded of it at every opportunity through forums like this. And as LS3 MN6 so eloquently put it, when I have owned much better navi units for much less the price and have enjoyed many features not available on these units I guess I am a "Navi Whore"

And as for the AR2, I guess you are not aware of the work arounds that make the unit far more usable then the way Pioneer intended. I am currently evaluating these workarounds to determine if it will suit my needs. If it doesn't then it it wont be my next unit and I will simply go with another iPad install in the new car I will be purchasing soon.

Well Im not wasting my time. The OP did ask for other peoples opinions based on concerns he had because of the many other numerous complaints about the navi on these units. I merely gave my opinion. The fact is that I have intimate knowledge about all of the units in this class as well as others units from different series and other manufactures. When someone spends the amount of money Pioneer is asking for a unit marketed as a "Navi" unit it should be expected that the unit will focus on that function and not offer less options and functions then a one hundred dollar portable or even worse, a .99 cent iOS app. Pioneer dropped the ball horribly on the navi of these units and they should be reminded of it at every opportunity through forums like this. And as LS3 MN6 so eloquently put it, when I have owned much better navi units for much less the price and have enjoyed many features not available on these units I guess I am a "Navi Whore"

And as for the AR2, I guess you are not aware of the work arounds that make the unit far more usable then the way Pioneer intended. I am currently evaluating these workarounds to determine if it will suit my needs. If it doesn't then it it wont be my next unit and I will simply go with another iPad install in the new car I will be purchasing soon.

That completely fine to have a option. But what you think is " garbage " mite be another mans gold. this is especially true for you since you are living on the bleeding edge. There complaints on every product out but that should be weighed in ratio of user base. if you have a larger user base of course you are going to have more complaints, as you should know. what navi features are so horrible that makes it garbage?

BTW if you know anything about hardware development you would understand that things move very slowly. There is a ton of testing and building that needs to happen to make sure software and hardware shake hands and limit the possibilities of bugs. you certainly can not compare a API based app to something that was built from you ground up. portable nav units are not the same. they have a much lower cost of development and have limited features outside being a nav device. usually manufactured in same place often these devices are cookie cutter cased, branded, boxed and shipped. If you think it is so easy you should get some funding and try to build something on your own. that will defiantly give you a different prospective on how the world of manufacturing works.

At the end of the day weather we agree z110bt is garbage or not. we both will probably agree the game needs to be stepped to follow advances in tech.

we both will probably agree the game needs to be stepped to follow advances in tech.

Without a doubt. A company with the desire to push the envelope and offer real innovation and not just the bare minimum to get a product to market.