AVIC411.com

A quick X940BT question!

Hey guys,

I am about to pull the trigger on an X940BT, but the only thing holding me back is that I've a few complaints here and there about the navi not being accurate. ie: it'll place you on a parallel street from the one you're actually on, or when you type in an address, it'll bring you to the wrong house number.

Are any of you guys having issues with the navi? I only ask, because this is one of the big reasons I want to pick up this unit. I've played with the 940bt a couple times as Best Buy, and everything that I could possibly test out seemed to check out good. The only thing I really want to know about, but can't really test without actually having the unit in my car is the navi. :(

Thanks for the help!

The only thing like that I've found with my 940 is that sometimes for a little while the navi will show that I'm 50 yards off the street. I think this is an issue about acquiring satellites. In a few moments, it goes back to where it's supposed to be. I'd read some disparaging comments about the 930 and was worried about the 940 but I've been really happy with mine. I was used to Garmin so it took me a little while to adjust. It is not as chatty as the Garmin's I've had, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. One small complaint is that when I arrive at my destination, it doesn't say which side of the street it's on like Garmin does but on the other hand, the Garmin sometimes gets it wrong and I can almost always figure out where I'm supposed to go. After using it for a while, I prefer it to Garmin in many ways.

Hey guys,

I am about to pull the trigger on an X940BT, but the only thing holding me back is that I've a few complaints here and there about the navi not being accurate. ie: it'll place you on a parallel street from the one you're actually on, or when you type in an address, it'll bring you to the wrong house number.

Are any of you guys having issues with the navi? I only ask, because this is one of the big reasons I want to pick up this unit. I've played with the 940bt a couple times as Best Buy, and everything that I could possibly test out seemed to check out good. The only thing I really want to know about, but can't really test without actually having the unit in my car is the navi. :(

Thanks for the help!

If you want navi as a strong point you should avoid any of the current Pioneer units. A search of the forum will reveal numerous complaints about this series of units going all the way back to 2009. This is especially true if you have owned other navis in the past. However if this is your first navi and you have no basis of comparison (don't know what you're missing) then you will may be satisfied.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've used a Tom Tom navi (which I hated), as well as a Garmin Nuvi, which I am still using now, and like quite a bit, aside from the fact that the speaker on it is going bad.

My 2nd choice aside from this navi is the Kenwood DNX6990HD, but I've ready multiple complaints that it randomly erases your saved navi data, which I would find really annoying.

What do you guys (who have used other navi's like Garmin) find lacking with the X940BT's navi?

I've already mentioned that it isn't as chatty as my wife's Garmin. The graphics of the Garmin appeal to some. Some think they are cartoonish. The 940 has the same kind of lane advise and graphics that the Garmin has when you exit the Interstate for example (it shows a picture of the interchange with exit sign, etc.). It doesn't always say the name of the street to turn on (which might be a problem if there are lots of streets in quick succession (and some have complained that it doesn't label more cross streets) but it has a bar graph type thing that counts down to the turn that I like better than the Garmin. In fact, I really prefer my 940 to my wife's Garmin. Of course, part of that is that it is integrated with everything so the stereo is muted while I'm no the phone or when the navi is talking to me. I can't say I'm an extremely heavy user of my navi, but I'm not dissatisfied with mine at all. I realize that they all can come up with some boneheaded routes, but I haven't found the 940 to be any worse than the Garmin.

Overall, I'm really happy with mine. BTW - a know a guy who has a DNX6990 that he loves. I considered getting one, but the price of the 940 was the deciding factor.

Thanks again for the info, ncmudbug.

Price isn't too much of a deciding factor for me, because when you factor in some features that the DNX6990 has that the X940BT do not (HD radio and traffic for the navi), the difference is rather negligible. I'm going to pass on the HD radio, but I'll likely get the traffic tuner for the X940BT. I think my decision is mostly coming down to the graphic user interface and the navi. I like the GUI of both units, and your info for the navi helps alot.

I would've jumped on the DNX6990HD, but after multiple firmware revisions, it seems to still be erasing people's saved data, which is ridiculous that Kenwood hasn't fixed something like that.

I actually went to Best Buy and played with the X940BT and thought it was pretty good as far as button layout and functions. The physical buttons actually felt better than the Kenwood. The Kenwood's physical buttons were all loose and felt cheap.