AVIC411.com

Can anyone hlep with the following questions? I am looking to install a X940BT into a 2003 Acura TL-S. I have done quite a few searches and haven't found the particular answers to my questions:

1. I understand the bypass to allow for video use while traveling (changing pin location of mute wire, grounding mute wire, grounding parking brake sensor) as shown here: http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/25794-x-series-bypass/
  2. The only wire I don't know where to connect is the pink (car speed signal input). My understanding is that it hleps improve accuracy of the GPS. I wouldl ike to connect it, but don't know where it goes. I have looked over at http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/vehiclewiring/1/yeard/Acura.html with no luck. Any ideas?
  3. Where is the best place to wire the microphone to? I want a clean install, no visable wires. What's your suggestion?
  4. Where is best place to mount GPS antenna? I have seen on the dashboard, under the dashboard, outside on trunk lid, and outside on rear roof. What's the best way to handle this? Again, I want a clean install, no visable wires. Any suggestions?
  5. What are the limitations on use of the unit when the car is in motion either if you do bypass or not? Does it only affect the playback of video, or does it affect navigation capabilities?

I appreciate anyone's help greatly!!!!

Thanks!

I can help with a few of your questions:

#3. I don't know (yeah, I'm a big help!). I have mine above the rear view mirror obviously on the driver's side. My wife says it sounds like a cube speakerphone. I can's say it's ideal. A friend put his mic (for a different radio) on his steering column. My Mercedes pretty much fills all the gaps around that so that isn't an option, but it does sound like a pretty good position if you can do it. I think the problem with mine - and probably most - mic locations is the distance from your mouth. The closer the better.

#4. Mine is on the dash in the middle. Its magnet holds it to a grate. It is unobtrusive, It acquires satellites quickly (usually much quicker than our Garmins). It is not invisible but it doesn't look bad to me even though the antenna is black and my dash is gray. Under the dash might be an option - don't know. I didn't install mine so that might have been an option. Either way, I'm happy with where it is.

#5. If you do not do the bypass (I have not) you cannot enter a new location for GPS but you can choose a location from your favorites or the list of locations you've previously entered. You cannot change the map or system settings, you cannot dial your phone on the screen but you can choose a contact and have the system dial and connect you. You cannot setup bluetooth. You cannot download your contacts to the HU.

I was thinking of doing the bypass, but for me, the only thing I would want to do but can't is enter a new GPS location. It hasn't been that big a deal, but it has been an inconvenience a time or two. I may yet do it, but I'm not in a hurry. I had mine installed by Best Buy and they wouldn't do it but if you're installing it yourself (or having it installed by someone who will do it), you might as well do it, but I wouldn't sweat it.

Good luck!