AVIC411.com

Installed map upgrade, lost most of my POIs

Hi there. I was hoping someone out there could give me some advice.

About a month ago I reluctantly paid $145 CAD including shipping and taxes for the 2012 map update for my X710-BT.

I'm not sure if there was an error during the install process (it did hang once for a very long time) but when all was said and done, I had a major problem with my POIs. For example, the unit says there are two hotels between Winnipeg, MB, Canada, and Minneapolis, MN.

i just happen to be driving to Minneapolis in two days and wondered if anyone had any suggestions as to how I can go about fixing this problem. Pioneer doesn't seem to be in any hurry to assist me. Canadians get gouged on cellular data in the U.S. so we can't use our iPhones to look up addresses, etc. and would have preferred if the POI database were still intact.

Forgive me for not having looked through the posts on this site extensively, but if there were a way I could somehow restore the unit to the state it was in before I installed the upgrade, or any fix to that effect I would very much appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Update:

Having successfully used testmode to compare the sizes of the POIs on the flash memory to those on the SD card with the upgrade, I found that they are identical. So the POI files are there, but the X710-BT UI isn't seeing them for some reason.

Going to see what I can do to re-install the upgrade from scratch.

Thank you to everyone who has provided information on this site. Learning so much and trying to absorb as much as I can!

Further update:

So I have some further information with respect to my "missing" POIs. I think they are there. Somewhere.

I'm just wondering if the fact that they have added additional categories and sub-categories with the update is making them hard to find.

But obviously a large number of them are not being shown.

For example, Hotels and Motels > Fairmont and Hotels and Motels > Other, are the only two options when I select POIs around my current location. So basically one hotel. I live in a city of 700,000 people.

Then you look at airports and it shows every place between here and South Dakota that has a runway.

Very odd.

• 2 weeks later...