AVIC411.com

Parking wire bypass working with ground, not power

I am trying to wire in the parking brake bypass. I order the microbypass and will put that in when it gets here, but I want to see it work at least in the meantime.

I understand that I need to connect the power side of a switch to the light green wire from the radio. I have built in switches in my truck, so I took power from it to the light green wire. Nothing happened. I verified there was power to the wire but nothing happened.

So I tried grounding the light green wire and it worked. Why would it work with ground and not power?

The PKB wire has always needed a ground (low signal) to activate. Where did you read that it uses power (high signal)?

edit: if you look at the installation manual, i can see how its confusing. What's really happening when it is wired per the install manual is that when the parking brake switch is activated (because parking brake is on), the signal will be grounded.

The grounding of PKB wire is actually what tells the unit that the parking brake is engaged.

I purchased this switch from Radioshack http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3159591

and connected the green wire to #1 and I connected the ground to #2, I mounted it on a module KvUeSl.jpg

and all I have to do is push the button once and i'm good to go! The switch cost me 2 bucks and I didn't have to wait for something to be delivered. I also purchased a relay just in case the switch didn't work but for now i'm happy.

Cn2cVl.jpg