AVIC411.com

A Few simple questions

Hi, new to all this so please bear with me and help me out - remember we all started somewhere :)

Just got a VW Transporter T5 with an Avic HD3 II unit (at least thats what I think it is - is thre a way to check what model it is). It did not come with any map cd's or a media number (previous owner 'lost them' apparently!)

Found this forum but a little confused so please can you help with a few questions:

- I have a HD3 II unit - how does this equate to the 'Z' units on here (are the HD3 II and Z units the same but called different things in different countries?)

- how do I tell which version number my unit is - Z1/Z2/Z3 equivalent - assume the HD3 II is the same as a Z2?

- I need to update my maps which date back to 2007! Looking into some threads on here it can be done via a few available torrent files - I understand torrents, thats OK, but need a walk through for beginners as to how to update the maps (I'd like the latest TomTom ones whic I think are the most current) - do I need any other software to run TomTom maps?

Not had a look at the back of the unit yet but I can connect my phone via bluetooth - is bluetooth built in or is thre an external plug in bluetooth unit? I want to be able to play music on my Nexus 7 and phone via bluetooth so how is this done?

- Are there any other updates / mods / hacks I should be aware of? Any threads its worth me reading as I want to know more about the unit and getting the most from it.

- dont mind getting my hands dirty and doing all the updating etc but need some steering :)

No doubt there will be more questions but lets get these sorted first.

Thanks in advance :)

JP

I believe that the HD3 is a european unit... so the maps listed here will not help you. You would need to get the european maps. I'm not sure you can put US maps on it from a Z3 image. As for bluetooth... I would think you could buy the bluetooth unit (the Z's do not have it built in)... I think the difference is in how the tuners are... different frequencies for different countries... all of this is a guess as i'm only familiar with the Z's.... that is probably why no one is responding! we are all used to Z1-Z3's Please take all this with a grain of salt as again.. i'm only guessing :)... hope it helps!