AVIC411.com

Hello

I've just bought an app radio SPH-DA100. I wanna know if is possible to connect iphone5 and radio without all these cables (HDMI, usb to lightning and AV conector)?

Is there an option to connect iPhone 5 and radio with incdluded iphone cable (30 pin) and adapter (30 pin to lightning) - http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter

Thaks for an answer.

There are 4 options: (Note: Bluetooth Phone mode will work with all 4 options.  Therefore I have not included it with each option.) 

1. iPhone 4/4S with stock 30 PIN connector:  Both the embedded iPod/Pandora and Advanced AppRadio Modes will work.  100% of the apps available for AppRadio will work with this configuration. 
  2. iPhone 5 with stock 30 PIN connector + 30PIN to Lightning adapter: Only the embedded iPod/Pandora apps will work.  No advanced AppRadio Mode.  Therefore 0% of the apps available for AppRadio will NOT work with this configuration.  But if you are only after the 7" screen and iPod and Pandora Functionality, this will work perfectly but nothing more will ever be possible other than those two functions(+ BT Phone of coarse)
  3. iPhone 5 with the Apple AV-Lightning adapter using the Pioneer iPhone 5 for AppRadio 2 kit as well as an Apple Lightning to USB cable for charging: Only the embedded Pandora app will function.  iPod is NOT available.  Advanced AppRadio Mode will work.  However not all Apps have been updated to use the HDMI digital output and receiving the touchscreen feedback via Bluetooth connection protocol.  They will eventually update to address both types of connectivity (30PIN and the Lightning/HDMI + Bluetooth).  
  4. iPhone 5 with the Apple AV-Lightning adapter to any store bought HDMI cable as long as it is properly shielded.  This is to ensure no signal loss or interference given it will run concurrently with other electrical behind the dash.  You do not have to have a Lightning to USB attached for the AppRadio to work as in Option 3.  However your iPhone will not have a source to charge while in use.  Which means for long trips/commutes your iPhone will be dead in a matter of an hour or 2 because it is outputting Video, communicating over Bluetooth, while most likely using Data.  

If you want to use a Lighting USB cable with option 4, you can keep/plug into the stock 30PIN adapter's USB port OR simply put a USB adapter into your vehicle's cigarette lighter.  Until I got my "kit" from Pioneer, I upgraded my AR2 and improvised as such: 

iPhone 5 > AV-Lightning Adapter > HDMI > AR2

AV-Lightning Adapter > Lightning USB > USB Car to Cigarette lighter adapter

Note: I wrapped the white Lightning USB around the HDMI and tucked the excess under the middle console trim.  It was "neat" for an improvised setup.  But the Pioneer kit for iPhone 5 is noticeably "neater"

The Pioneer iPhone 5 adapter kit comes with this black wrap that allows you to make the HDMI and Lightning USB to look like 1 cable.  In my Jeep with black interior it also blends in much better than having the bright white Lightning USB cable wrapped around the black HDMI cable as I had improvised before.  Regardless, I highly recommend you leave the stock 30 PIN adapter in place OR you use the Pioneer iPhone 5 kit with the USB connector.  That way it will be easier to apply a firmware update in the future.  

I hope that helps clarify your options and what you will get out of them.  

Maybe this will help clarify.  Apple supports Audio and Video CONTROL over bluetooth. That is not the same as pushing video from the iOS device to the external display. 

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3647?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Bluetooth has a video output profile/protocol called VDP, but I do not know of a single device that supports or uses it.  Most likely because the bandwidth capacity for BT is ~3mps.  You would be severely limited as to the quality of video output, not to mention audio and control data sharing that same connection.  BT is also fairly battery intensive. Most likely you would still loose battery charge (even while charging via plug) while pushing video, audio, and remote control over bluetooth.  

Apple supports video out over a number of cable centric output options.  The wireless method it has chosen is their patented Airplay via WiFi method.  Via Airplay you have high quality audio and video, as well as remote control options with "Home Sharing"

Android supports digital video and audio output via cable options (mostly via a mini HDMI to HDMI cable or other ports).  It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer (i.e. Samsung vs HTC.)  But some support video output such as DLNA.  

The overall take away here is DLNA, Airplay, and other wireless video output protocols are very manufacturer specific.  HDMI is universal standard that most if not all manufacturers support in some fashion.  Therefore the cables will be around in the accessory market for quite a while except for specific accessory manufacturers that want the Apple or Samsung partnerships.  

Lastly, if the mobile device is pushing video and audio, its consuming battery.  you are going to want it on a charger otherwise you are screwed.  With the Apple devices, charging is the same cable as the video.audio output.  :)