AVIC411.com

A few AVH-X8500BHS questions

Hi all,

Im from Australia & looking to buy this unit for the simple reason that our version:

http://www.pioneer.com.au/au/products/25/109/281/AVH-X8550BT/page.html

Retails at around double the price!

So a few questions before I go ahead and order the unit.

1. Will all the features still work if i'm running this unit in a car over here?

2. I have an Iphone 5 and would like to use Google Maps for navigation through app radio mode, Can that be done? & Will it work in Australia?

3. Does this unit play .avi, .mkv, .mp4 etc files (through sd or dvd)? I've noticed alot of DVD receivers claim to support all file formats but have never found one that does. They usually just play old .avi files and .mpg, no HD quality files that are the standard these days.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks! :)

Hi all,

Im from Australia & looking to buy this unit for the simple reason that our version:

http://www.pioneer.com.au/au/products/25/109/281/AVH-X8550BT/page.html

Retails at around double the price!

So a few questions before I go ahead and order the unit.

1. Will all the features still work if i'm running this unit in a car over here?

2. I have an Iphone 5 and would like to use Google Maps for navigation through app radio mode, Can that be done? & Will it work in Australia?

3. Does this unit play .avi, .mkv, .mp4 etc files (through sd or dvd)? I've noticed alot of DVD receivers claim to support all file formats but have never found one that does. They usually just play old .avi files and .mpg, no HD quality files that are the standard these days.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks! :)

I'll do my best to provide some information:

1 - I don't see why it wouldn't work over there.  But that said if you are looking to add Sirius I don't think you can get that outside of North America.  You also didn't mention what type of car you have so that would be a consideration

2 - So the thing with using iPhone Maps is yes you can pull up the map on the unit in AppRadio mode.  There is no way that I can find to use it for navigation.  I've also noticed if you pull it up it doesn't do a good job of updating the map as you move off the map.  As far as working down under I don't see why it wouldn't work if iPhone Maps works there.

3 - I'm not sure about all the formats.  Is there a specific one that is of interest to you?  I could burn a DVD with a certain format but I'm not going to try all of them because for me I really don't care.  I do know it won't play blueray but I knew that before I bought it.  Very disappointed with that.

I'll do my best to provide some information:

1 - I don't see why it wouldn't work over there.  But that said if you are looking to add Sirius I don't think you can get that outside of North America.  You also didn't mention what type of car you have so that would be a consideration

2 - So the thing with using iPhone Maps is yes you can pull up the map on the unit in AppRadio mode.  There is no way that I can find to use it for navigation.  I've also noticed if you pull it up it doesn't do a good job of updating the map as you move off the map.  As far as working down under I don't see why it wouldn't work if iPhone Maps works there.

3 - I'm not sure about all the formats.  Is there a specific one that is of interest to you?  I could burn a DVD with a certain format but I'm not going to try all of them because for me I really don't care.  I do know it won't play blueray but I knew that before I bought it.  Very disappointed with that.

Thanks alot for replying! My car is a 2003 Nissan 350Z.

Mainly just mp4 and mkv are the formats im looking at because those are the formats videos are mostly encoded in these days. & .avi but im pretty sure if it plays mp4 & mkv it will play .avi. If you could test those that would be a big help!

Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

I would suggest getting the 8550 rather than 8500 from other asian countries, i got the 8550 from my country (philippines) for 650 USD, reason being is 8550 doesnt require any bypass to watch videos, only the 00 version requires one. Inread in this forum that a lot of people are having problem with settings with bypass installed, the 50 series distributed in australia and asian countries,