AVIC411.com

Swapping App Radio 1 With App Radio 2

Hi everyone i dont know if this has been covered, i have a 2010 Mitsubishi Evo X with 9 speaker Rockford system. I originally had it installed at best buy with my App Radio 1. I noticed quite a drop in quality when going from my stock system to my App Radio, the Sub Seemed weaker, and the sound became distorted at medium range, is this normal for the App radio 1? and is there any sound improvements with app radio 2?

Well anyway here's my main question, i now have the iphone 5, girlfriend has the Galexy s3, plus my ipod cable in my app radio 1 is starting to break and its like 60$ to replace. I found the app radio for sale at best buy for 279. (which seems the cheapest price ive ever seen for this unit, unless someone else has seen it cheaper) so i think it'll be better if i just make the jump. So if i take everything thats plugged into my car now, will the App radio 2 simply just plug and play in my car as of right now? i know i will need the iphone 5 connectivity cord thats out to work with my iphone 5, but will that same cord just wtih different adapters work with my girlfriends S3 if she decides to use it? or will i have to change cords completely in order for us both to be able to use our phones? 

I know those were a  couple of questions, just haven't been able to find these answers yet. Thanks!

hey buddy, sorry no one has said anything yet. First, no the appradio 2 and 1 use different cables. The 2 is definitely an upgrade mind you, but no they use different cables. As far as your girlfriend's phone, yes and no. The HDMI cable is used in both setups, as is that in both setups you need a source for power. However for your girlfriend to use the phone in the car you have to unplug the phone, turn off bluetooth on both, go to settings and switch from iPhone Digital AV to other. Then after she pairs her phone it will work fine. You have to do this step backwards to use your phone again. I wish it were smarter but it isn't. You will not however have to completely switch out cords. Save the HDMI, give her a source for power and have an HDMI to S3 adaptor. I don't remember what acronym they use for that. 

As far as your sound quality is concerned it sounds like your original head unit was powering a lot more speakers than the appradio's build in amps is designed to handle. The appradio only has 4 powered outs that produce something like 50 watts each but not even RMS. In your situation you would have definitely needed 1. A few different amplifiers for the system and 2. Some crossovers to cover the different speaker types of your 9 speaker system. At the very least an amp for the woofers and mids and then a dedicated for the subwoofer. Now often times these speakers are powered by built in external amps that the car radio (which is usually quite weak) feeds your run of the mill stereo sound to the outside amps which actually handle all the sound processing. That is either not the case for your system or your best buy guys really fucked that up. 

Back to the appradio 2. The appradio 2 at least has the advantage that it has 2 separate pre-outs so you can dedicate one to the stereo sound the woofers and tweeters get (again to an external amplifier. Never use the built in amp) and another to power an amp for the subwoofer. 

Again though before you move forward you need to figure out how your speakers are wired, because the best buy guys obviously fucked it up. 

The AppRadio 2 is a HUGE improvement over the 1 and I highly suggest it.