AVIC411.com

Installing back up camera?

Just want to have all my ducks in a row for when everything gets here. I'll be installing my 5500bhs and a back up camera at the same time. I understand I will hook up rca video lead and power and ground wire to the reverse light for the camera itself. My main question is what do I connect on the stereo itself to know the trucks in reverse? Any help would be great. Thanks

My tahoe had a reverse wire in the radio harness, ran that to the unit. If yours doesnt have that, run another wire from the positive reverse light circuit (same wire that powers the camera) to the head unit. Then make sure the radio turns to reverse mode with "battery" in the camera settings. I have the 8500bhs and it has the option of being triggered with power or ground.

I would suggest checking the wire diagrams for the vehicle you are installing into to see where they tap for a backup camera? On my Chevy HHR the backup camera signal comes from the left side + wire to the backup light. There is a "reverse" wire in the adapter harness but I figured if Chevy used the reverse light feeder I would to. It works fine on my X950BH with a wireless adapter. The tech at the stereo shop said it doesn't matter as the head unit only wakes up when it gets the video signal from the rear view camera, otherwise it turns off and goes back to regular display.

The tech at the stereo shop said it doesn't matter as the head unit only wakes up when it gets the video signal from the rear view camera, otherwise it turns off and goes back to regular display.

Not true, if its installed properly it will work for rear view as well as reverse.

I have the same radio.  I just installed a rear camera over the weekend.  I tapped the power source from the amp in the trunk so there is a constant power. I grounded the black wire.  I ran a separate lead from the reverse lamp of the taillight to the purple/white lead of the harness of the radio.  There should be a wire on the bottom tier of the harness just to the right of the black ground wire.  That is what triggers the HU to know when you are in reverse.  By tapping into a constant power I can allow for the camera to be used while in motion if needed.