AVIC411.com

Navigation voice??? and Can't hear BT Callers

Ok, I'm sure I'm not the only one here with this issue, but here's the deal:

I have the z150bh in a 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT8 and I don't think I've ever heard the navigation directions.  I know that I also can't hear the BT incoming (or out going) caller on the other line, but they can hear me.

Any ideas how to fix this?  And yes, I've checked the obvious (nav/phone volume settings)

I'm getting nothing, but for phone calls, the unit does mute the music. (though it doesn't even seem to try for navigation... nothing changes while driving with nav on... music plays as normal and nobody ever tells me where to turn.)

Hopefully someone else has come across this and it's an easy fix.  A google search yielded one random post on a general advice site (not related to the avic directly) asking the same question with, ironically, a Chrysler 300, so I'm beginning to wonder if it's car related, but I can't imagine why or how it could be.

Any help would be appreciated!

I don't have a Z150, but this problem has been reported for other units. This is usually caused by connecting the wrong audio output to your speaker (or front line-out if you have an external amp). NAV guidance and phone audio only gets sent to the front channels (L+R or L only depending on your settings).

A simple way to test is to go into the Audio settings and adjust the fader to full rear (no audio going to front). If you hear any audio coming from front speakers, then this is likely your problem.

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I know that the fader doesn't actually even work on these cars.  Apparently this is due to the interface that we use to install in our cars and the Uplevel amplified system that we have in these cars.  It inputs the stereo as the "video entertainment system" if I remember correctly and does not allow you to fade from front to rear.

I wonder if there is any work around for this because if not, it's more than just a little annoying that 2 of the major reasons for buying this unit are now useless.

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I know that the fader doesn't actually even work on these cars.  Apparently this is due to the interface that we use to install in our cars and the Uplevel amplified system that we have in these cars.  It inputs the stereo as the "video entertainment system" if I remember correctly and does not allow you to fade from front to rear.

I wonder if there is any work around for this because if not, it's more than just a little annoying that 2 of the major reasons for buying this unit are now useless.

I think you missed my main point. The AVIC has Front and Rear stereo outputs (for both pre-amp and speaker). Guidance and phone audio only comes out Front. I think you connected the rear pair  to the OEM amp (or whatever is driving your speakers). If you have connected both AVIC front and rear, then swap the pairs. If your OEM amp is only connected to one pair of AVIC outputs, then make sure you are feeding it the AVIC Front audio.

The fader I was referring to in my 1st post was the one in the AVIC settings, so your vehicle's hardware has nothing to do with what I was asking.

Thanks, but, I think maybe you missed mine.

I connected ALL FOUR sets of speaker leads to the PAC interface just as directed, but it indicates nowhere that only one set are used via the interface.  In fact, if that were the case, one would expect there to be only two sets of leads and instructions that state to only use the rear output from the head unit to the interface.

I was also referring to the fader on the head unit.  The fader has absolutely no effect on the sound in these cars.  I'm not even sure what you're alluding to when you say "your vehicle's hardware has nothing to do with what I was asking," but in any event, after speaking to Pioneer and reading this, I intend to do precisely what you just said... swap the speaker leads.  It's odd that this would be necessary, but it makes logical sense if the audio only passes through the front channels.  

When I said it inputs as VES... if you have a late model Chrysler product, then you know what I'm referring to... if not, then that's probably why you were confused about my vehicle's "hardware."   Suffice it to say that this appears to be an issue with the interface between the Avic and the PAC module.  It stinks that we can't feed front and rear to a factory amplified system (at least not in this particular product line) because it would be nice to have the ability to fade the sound to the front on long trips so the kids can listen to something different (like an ipod or something) without having to hear the car stereo blasting at them as well.

Swapping the wires is simple enough, so when I have a few minutes, I'll give that a try.  

Thanks.

Thanks, but, I think maybe you missed mine.

I connected ALL FOUR sets of speaker leads to the PAC interface just as directed, but it indicates nowhere that only one set are used via the interface.  In fact, if that were the case, one would expect there to be only two sets of leads and instructions that state to only use the rear output from the head unit to the interface.

I was also referring to the fader on the head unit.  The fader has absolutely no effect on the sound in these cars.  I'm not even sure what you're alluding to when you say "your vehicle's hardware has nothing to do with what I was asking," but in any event, after speaking to Pioneer and reading this, I intend to do precisely what you just said... swap the speaker leads.  It's odd that this would be necessary, but it makes logical sense if the audio only passes through the front channels.  

When I said it inputs as VES... if you have a late model Chrysler product, then you know what I'm referring to... if not, then that's probably why you were confused about my vehicle's "hardware."   Suffice it to say that this appears to be an issue with the interface between the Avic and the PAC module.  It stinks that we can't feed front and rear to a factory amplified system (at least not in this particular product line) because it would be nice to have the ability to fade the sound to the front on long trips so the kids can listen to something different (like an ipod or something) without having to hear the car stereo blasting at them as well.

Swapping the wires is simple enough, so when I have a few minutes, I'll give that a try.  

Thanks.

I'm waiting to see how my system works out. I haven't set a destination to navigate to yet, so I haven't heard the voices inside or outside of my head.

Mine is a GM car. The Axxess adapter I have cut out the radio on the last Pioneer head unit when a call came in, and yes, it appeared that the phone audio only came out of the front speakers. I'll have to see how it deals with the nav voice when an incoming call is answered.

Apparently you're lucky they can hear you on the hands free mic. 

Update.

It seems that PAC discovered this "compatibility issue" after I installed the radio.  In fact, they just revised their installation manual on May 9!  Once again, I guess that's the price you pay to be an early adopter!

Now I get to pull out the head unit and connect the front output of the AVIC to the rear input of the PAC (and leave the others disconnected) and I should be in business.

I might as well download and update the firmware for the PAC at the same time since they've decided to add some functionality in the last few weeks as well.