AVIC411.com

I have been trying to use waze on the app radio on the Z150BH.  or even maps for that matter.  i get gps on my phone before i connect and i have gps on the regular nav on the radio but for some reason i can never get waze or maps while using appradio to pick up a gps signal.  is there something else i need to do?  any help would be appreciated.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting the same issues here. I thought maybe it was the phone but seeing someone else with the same issue makes me think otherwise. If I find out anything I'll let you know. As of yet I haven't found much on the issue at all or even a way to force internal gps for that matter.

I have european equivalent to Z150BH (F50BT) and have the same issues:

I think is the pioneer app which cuts the GPS signal, not the mhl adapter.

With the mobile gps turn on and pioneer app launched, as you said, waze gets no signal. If I exit stock app (with "Track -" button or with mobile back button) I watch in the HU screen my mobile mirrored but no touch control. Using the mobile, I launch "Navigator", for example, and it uses GPS mobile signal without problem (note at this point the mobile is still connected to the HU by the mhl adapter).
If I switch to Waze, as it's an app binded to the pioneer app, I get touch control but I lose GPS signal.

All this refering to the mobile GPS signal.

Refering tho the HU GPS signal, I've send an email to Pioneer's customer service asking why I won't get signal using theirs stock app.

This is the answer from Pioneer:

"The AVIC-F50BT has embedded navigator, with built-in GPS antenna. When

using a navigator App, GPS antenna used is that of
smartphone, so you will need to have the smartphone in a place that receives
good GPS signal."

As we know for the tests we have made, this is false. So I've send a reply but without hopes of getting a satisfactory answer.

I think the only way to get Waze working is waiting to an ARL release which works in our devices. 

I'm using appRadio Mode with an Samnsung SIII which is not in pioneer's compatibiliity list.. Has any of you this GPS problem with a smarphone supported by Pioneer?

Unfortunately I don't have a phone that is supported. I'm currently using an HTC DNA with the AVIC-Z150BH. I installed the ARL app in hopes of maybe clearing up the issue but I also get the GPS using ARL just like the AppRadio application. It's like the HU doesn't even want to push the data to the phone. I'm guessing if I push off an email to Pioneer the reply would be "your smart-phone is not supported." Maybe I'll go find someone with a android that is and test it out to make sure it isn't the HU.

I think that graffix31 has a S2 which is supported by pioneer. So it seems to be a HU problem. I have recently got ARL working and at least I can use mobile GPS, but it has been a big disappointment. I took it for granted that this HU would send a better GPS signal than AppRadio2 does.

yeah technically my phone is supported but not the os.  the only supported os was gingerbread.  im on jellybean now.  dont know if that makes a difference.  i just use the mhl connection that came with the pioneer adapter kit.  everything works great except the gps issue.  really sucks because i would love to use waze.  pioneer is dropping the ball here by not making this more compatible with other phones and os.  they are loosing out on a huge bonus to a great radio. right now it is just a novelty.  hopefully some day.  ill have the radio for a long time.  will be perfect when arl is fully funtional.

yeah technically my phone is supported but not the os.  the only supported os was gingerbread.  im on jellybean now.  dont know if that makes a difference.  i just use the mhl connection that came with the pioneer adapter kit.  everything works great except the gps issue.  really sucks because i would love to use waze.  pioneer is dropping the ball here by not making this more compatible with other phones and os.  they are loosing out on a huge bonus to a great radio. right now it is just a novelty.  hopefully some day.  ill have the radio for a long time.  will be perfect when arl is fully funtional.

That's an unfortunate side effect of Android...its so called "fragmentation."

I've had Android phones now for nearly five years. I don't believe I've seen an issue where an app  designed for an older version of Android wouldn't run on a newer version. It's usually the other way around. 

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the android version or the device because I haven't read any post of anyone who get GPS signal from the HU (maybe people without problems don't post on forums)

And although ARL is not fully functional, I use Waze everyday with very few problems. Once you realize what things you can do that not force ARL to disconnect is just to get used to them.