AVIC411.com

Just installed my appradio2.....iPhone 5 problems. New radio with no 30pin cable...

I just purchased a "new out of box" da100 appradio 2 from eBay.

Upon install I noticed I didn't have the iPhone 30 pin cable included in the kit. Figuring since I had an iPhone 5 I didn't need that cable.

It appears as though I am wrong. I have successfully paired my iPhone 5 with the head unit, I can make phone calls no problem.

The main problem is that all icons on the main screen are grey with the exception of radio and phone.

I assume this is due to me not having the latest software installed on the head unit. How can I check my sw version? I know I can't update until I have that iPhone cable....

Is there any way to make pandora or car media player work just over AD2P?

Any help will be appreciated. I guess this cable is pretty important...

post-98405-0-43772300-1378592784_thumb.jpg

You're going to need that cable.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Accessories/Smartphone-and-iPod-Cables/CD-IU201N

There is no AD2P on the DA100. All audio and video is done over the HDMI connection on the unit so you may be able to get away with connecting the HDMI to the unit and to the digital AV adapter for the iPhone and controlling everything from the phone until you get the cable. You will have no charging or control from the head unit until you get that cable.

Actually you should get all functions except for charging now that I think about it.

Actually you should get all functions except for charging now that I think about it.

What about the software version stuff? With no USB I can't upgrade head unit firmware right?

Am I going to need 8.30 to get anything out of the ip5?

What I am trying to understand is if there are other alternatives. That way I can buy the 'best' one, either the least expensive

Or one that better meets my needs.

If there were I would have said so. With the AR2, you have to have that cable or you don't get USB, without USB you get no charging. Instructions for checking firmware are in the firmware update that you can download and view.

Ok take a look at the two screenshots I took, your link (the cable you said I need) calls out AVIC unis, not an AR2.

^first pic

The second pic is what my google search turned up, it lists the Da100.

Something isn't correct here, is it your link or my google search? Or is it possible there is more than one cable for the application?

As for the Firmware check, I am trying to do it without the cable, if I can't get into app mode I can't very well check the fw... I was hoping there might be another way.

post-98405-0-20854500-1378775043_thumb.jpg

post-98405-0-16507500-1378775062_thumb.jpg

Once again.

The cable I linked to is the one that is required.

Both cables you picture are the same cable. The cable I linked to is the cable that originally came with your unit. You also will get no firmware updating without that cable. Now, I have answered your question and told you what you need to have. Good luck to you.

Congrats Krispy and welcome to the AppRadio 2 family! In regards to your original post, VBLUE42 is a veteran member of this forum among others and many have benefited from his help (myself included). In order to try to help you a bit more about your current situation, I will try to walk you through the steps necessary to get your iPhone 5 working with your AR2.

The minimum absolute requirements to get the two devices to work together requires the following:

1) AR2 (running firmware v8.30)

2) iPhone 5

3) HDMI cable

4) Lightning Digital AV Adapter

So long as you have these things, you can connect the iPhone 5 to AR2 via bluetooth and HDMI. With this setup, you will get AppRadio Mode and be able to do most of what the radio is intended for with the exceptions stated by VBLUE42 (no charging of iPhone and no native iPod app on the head unit). These two things can be easily fixed by using a USB cigarette lighter adapter with the lightning cable and to get music, there are multiple apps to handle that, ex: CarMediaPlayer, EC Touch, etc.

If you are running v8.30 already then the iPhone 5 should work right away. If you are running on an older firmware version (8.15 or 8.17), you can head over to this page to check which version your AppRadio is running. 

http://www.appradioworld.com/2013/06/how-to-check-your-appradio-2-firmware.html

If you need to update to v8.30, follow the directions on the Pioneer site. I strongly suggest you read through it a few times before attempting to update. Updating will require 2 extra items:

1) USB 2.0 flash drive  (FAT32 format - this needs to be formatted by a Windows computer, NOT MAC!!! Mac formatting will add extra hidden files that the radio cannot read from. There are 2 files required for the update, load only 1 at a time onto the drive in the order the instructions state. Or you can use 2 drives; just make sure you know which one has which file if you don't have the laptop in the car with you when installing.)

2) Pioneer Cable** This part is tricky. What VBLUE42 told you is true, based on the Pioneer manuals and descriptions for updates via USB, they state and show the picture for the original cable provided with a new AR2 purchase, CD-IU201N. To be safe, this should be the cable you purchase. But... I don't see why the CD-IH202 wouldn't work considering it uses the same plug-in interface as the other cable and is a simple USB female end. Since I don't own the CD-IH202 cable and did my update with the CD-IU201N cable, I would recommend the CD-IU201N, so that you won't have any problems. The CD-IU201N cable currently costs $60 vs CD-IH202 for $50 on the Pioneer website (may be cheaper elsewhere). For the difference in pricing, the CD-IU201N adds the advantage of being able to use older iOS devices with 30-pins with the AR2. And again, if you have this cable, you will not need the cigarette lighter adapter and you can run the lightning USB cable from this one and draw power directly from the HU.

firmware v8.30 + instructions

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/UnAssigned-Content/Firmware%20Updates/AppRadio%202%20Firmware%20Update%20v8.30

CD-IU201N - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Accessories/Smartphone-and-iPod-Cables/CD-IU201N

CD-IH202 - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Accessories/Smartphone-and-iPod-Cables/CD-IH202

Once installed with the proper firmware, the iPhone 5 should work "seamlessly" with AR2. In case you're interested, the best option currently to maximize iPhone 5 usage is to jailbreak the iPhone and install AppRadio Extensions (developed by Mike DeCaro after lots of hard work, time and effort!). You can search this forum for more information on this topic if you want.

I hope this helps clear up a few things and good luck with your new project. And as always, feel free to roam this site and others like AppRadioWorld, as most of what you may want to know has already been asked and answered in great detail by some heavily seasoned pros.

-AZNMAN002

Congrats Krispy and welcome to the AppRadio 2 family! In regards to your original post, VBLUE42 is a veteran member of this forum among others and many have benefited from his help (myself included). In order to try to help you a bit more about your current situation, I will try to walk you through the steps necessary to get your iPhone 5 working with your AR2.

The minimum absolute requirements to get the two devices to work together requires the following:

1) AR2 (running firmware v8.30)

2) iPhone 5

3) HDMI cable

4) Lightning Digital AV Adapter

So long as you have these things, you can connect the iPhone 5 to AR2 via bluetooth and HDMI. With this setup, you will get AppRadio Mode and be able to do most of what the radio is intended for with the exceptions stated by VBLUE42 (no charging of iPhone and no native iPod app on the head unit). These two things can be easily fixed by using a USB cigarette lighter adapter with the lightning cable and to get music, there are multiple apps to handle that, ex: CarMediaPlayer, EC Touch, etc.

If you are running v8.30 already then the iPhone 5 should work right away. If you are running on an older firmware version (8.15 or 8.17), you can head over to this page to check which version your AppRadio is running. 

http://www.appradioworld.com/2013/06/how-to-check-your-appradio-2-firmware.html

If you need to update to v8.30, follow the directions on the Pioneer site. I strongly suggest you read through it a few times before attempting to update. Updating will require 2 extra items:

1) USB 2.0 flash drive  (FAT32 format - this needs to be formatted by a Windows computer, NOT MAC!!! Mac formatting will add extra hidden files that the radio cannot read from. There are 2 files required for the update, load only 1 at a time onto the drive in the order the instructions state. Or you can use 2 drives; just make sure you know which one has which file if you don't have the laptop in the car with you when installing.)

2) Pioneer Cable** This part is tricky. What VBLUE42 told you is true, based on the Pioneer manuals and descriptions for updates via USB, they state and show the picture for the original cable provided with a new AR2 purchase, CD-IU201N. To be safe, this should be the cable you purchase. But... I don't see why the CD-IH202 wouldn't work considering it uses the same plug-in interface as the other cable and is a simple USB female end. Since I don't own the CD-IH202 cable and did my update with the CD-IU201N cable, I would recommend the CD-IU201N, so that you won't have any problems. The CD-IU201N cable currently costs $60 vs CD-IH202 for $50 on the Pioneer website (may be cheaper elsewhere). For the difference in pricing, the CD-IU201N adds the advantage of being able to use older iOS devices with 30-pins with the AR2. And again, if you have this cable, you will not need the cigarette lighter adapter and you can run the lightning USB cable from this one and draw power directly from the HU.

firmware v8.30 + instructions

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/UnAssigned-Content/Firmware%20Updates/AppRadio%202%20Firmware%20Update%20v8.30

CD-IU201N - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Accessories/Smartphone-and-iPod-Cables/CD-IU201N

CD-IH202 - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Accessories/Smartphone-and-iPod-Cables/CD-IH202

Once installed with the proper firmware, the iPhone 5 should work "seamlessly" with AR2. In case you're interested, the best option currently to maximize iPhone 5 usage is to jailbreak the iPhone and install AppRadio Extensions (developed by Mike DeCaro after lots of hard work, time and effort!). You can search this forum for more information on this topic if you want.

I hope this helps clear up a few things and good luck with your new project. And as always, feel free to roam this site and others like AppRadioWorld, as most of what you may want to know has already been asked and answered in great detail by some heavily seasoned pros.

-AZNMAN002

Thanks for the help, and taking all the time to write this out but I already had all this figured out. I just needed direction as to what cable I needed to complete my install, My appradio2 was shipped to me without the needed cable that everyone already has. 

Great write up aznman002. I don't have the patience anymore.

VBLUE42, If you don't have the patience to answer questions of people in the forum then simply don't, I have learned much from you posts in other threads and agree that you have added value to those. If you don't have time to respond to my threads in a similar fashion that's fine. I would prefer that you spend your time cleaning out your PM box so I don't have to air my dirty laundry with you in a public thread.

*Steps on soap box*

I don't appreciate being talked to in a condescending manner every time you quote me. I am no internet tough guy or "ethug" I am simply trying to get my system started up and running so that I may be of benefit to this forum. I had a unique question regarding a replacement cable (that everyone got in their box). My question is now answered. This case is closed.

*Steps off soap box*

Thanks to those who contributed constructively.