AVIC411.com

RODGE needs info for install. '06 Limited WRX

Hi all! first off let me thank all of you who have helped me immensly so far: Tillithz, Ducati, Jason, Paisan NYC, OSUV, cntrylvr79, T, aznsmartass24, and all the others, seriously thanks. It's now MY time to ask the stupid questions that you will laugh at me for, but, hey, I might as well ask instead of fuckin up my ride! A lot of what I need to know at this point is vehicle specific, so if you can help, great, but if not, don't worry about it. Tillithz, I know you've answered these questions before, but I will be printing up these responses (if any) to help aid me during install.

again this is for a limited '06 WRX

1. Whats the best way to remove the stock HU? I understand you start through the "shifter", and continue to remove panels, but I can't figure out how to get that started. Many of these plastic clips feel "breakable" and would like to know how to pull them off correctly.

2. The VSS and Reverse are located on the ECU which is on the passenger floor, correct? What exactly do I do to hook those two wires up? Do I just splice into each one of them? If so, what is the deal with the "pins" I'm supposed to remove, I can't quite figure that out.

3. The bypass. I have a post july unit so I won't need the flasher, and I have the Bluetooth update CD, BUT, I'm still a little foggy on what are the EXACT two wires that need to be grounded. After I HAVE found the two wires that need to be grounded, how do I do so? Again, It's the "pin" thing I don't understand. If they need to be grounded can't I just hook them up to a piece of grounded metal?

4. If you have any recomendations for running the wires from my backup cam (rear lisence plate) up to the front? People have removed seats for this and I'm checking to see if that's really nessesary.

Obviously pics can explain a lot of this very well, so If anyone has any please post, It could save a lot of dialog but just pionting to the correct wire (or PIN!!)

Thanks in advance for any responses, And I'm sure I'll be speaking with all of you more once I actually have this thing installed. I'm all about the customizations and stuff like that. Jokes are always appreciated!!

1. Whats the best way to remove the stock HU? I understand you start through the "shifter", and continue to remove panels, but I can't figure out how to get that started. Many of these plastic clips feel "breakable" and would like to know how to pull them off correctly.

The clips are typically "V" shaped so once they are snapped in they lock at the top of the V. You gently pull the direction of the top of the V to release them, they are tapered. You start by removing the shifter, and boot. This is done by putting your hand in the rectangular area where the boot is lowest in the car. You then put your fingers curled underneath the 'trim' looking panel attached to the boot and pull, its rather easy you dont have to put much force at all. then you lift the boot/shifter off of the shifter pole itself. keep in mind there is a illumination light and cigarette lighter wire harness. simply unplug those and then youll be able to lift straight up.

Then just above the lighter and ash tray (upper corners) youll see where the next panel is and 2 screws. remove them. now the next panel up is kind of released at the bottom and hinged so to speak at the top. At the top of the panel just above (about 1/4 inch) the original radio there is 2 clips behind that panel. These clips come out towards you where you need to pop the panel forward. I used a cage bender because it was shaped well to get behind the panel while working the panel forward enough to get behind it where the clips are. This panel has 2 plugs and an air hose attached to it, unclip them and the panel can be set aside for safe keeping.

The radio is held in by 6 screws 3 on each side. unscrew them. take note of the grounding wire clipped on to the factory radio's left side. You will need to unclip the ground as you pull the radio out. Also, unclip the wire harness that is plugged into the factory radio.

You have taken the radio out now.

2. The VSS and Reverse are located on the ECU which is on the passenger floor, correct? What exactly do I do to hook those two wires up? Do I just splice into each one of them? If so, what is the deal with the "pins" I'm supposed to remove, I can't quite figure that out.

The ECU is a computer, there is about 5 or so wire harnesses plugged into it, with about 20-50 wires in each harness, you need to look around, or I will look again later, for which pin on which harness is your vss. It will identify the harness and pin number for you when you find the correct schematic. That is for the vss, for the reverse I believe ( I cant recall right now) that it is in the kick panel about 12 inches to the left of the ecu just behind the plastic panel you had to remove to get to the ecu. close to where the single circular panel clip was in the corner of the car. There are no pins you are suppose to remove for this portion of the install.

3. The bypass. I have a post july unit so I won't need the flasher, and I have the Bluetooth update CD, BUT, I'm still a little foggy on what are the EXACT two wires that need to be grounded. After I HAVE found the two wires that need to be grounded, how do I do so? Again, It's the "pin" thing I don't understand. If they need to be grounded can't I just hook them up to a piece of grounded metal?

The two wires are the green (parking brake) wire of the z1 and the other is a secret wire that is not normally located on the other harness in the bottom right corner of that harness. If you look at that other harness (non speaker wire harness) you will see the missing pin/wire from that harness in that location. You simply remove one of the wires on the speaker wire harness from the z1 and insert it into the slot missing a wire from above. You can remove the cell phone mute wire by using a small pick or eye glass screw driver. What i would suggest is simply grounding it with the ground of the unit, putting the secret wire, the parking brake from the z1, and the grounds from the z1 all together and grounding them.

4. If you have any recomendations for running the wires from my backup cam (rear lisence plate) up to the front? People have removed seats for this and I'm checking to see if that's really necesary.

No seat removal is not necessary. As I discussed with you last night you can use the gromit that is just behind the license plate now, cutting it ohh so slightly so as to fit the wire for the camera through. then along side the inside of the trunk towards the passenger side, there is plenty of places to cable tie and keep the wire from rattling and tucked away. you bring the wire towards the front of the vehicle and make entry into the main cabin by the bottom passenger side of the trunk, kinda close to where the seat belt rests when not being used. then on the inside of the car you fish your hand back towards the trunk to find the wire you slid back there a moment ago. you then route the wire down and under the butt cushion on the passenger side, keep in mind there is one single panel clip under that seat that can be removed by lifting the cushion and a panel popper. if you need to. then route the wire towards the front along the bottom panel and between the seat belt and carpet so that the wire wont be exposed later. continuing your run of the wire up towards the computer and across the floor to the right side of the dash. You might want to make the cross over the floor more towards the seat, like by where your heals would be so you for sure wont step on it and feel the wire below.

bammm, your camera wiring is up front now, make connections, use wire harness, blah blah blah your done and ready to put things back to gether.