AVIC411.com

Z150 keeps restarting after ~20 minutes-SOLVED

Hi all, just joined and this is my first post.

I just installed my new Z150 in an '11 Cayman about 3 weeks ago. Seemed to work fine, though it initially had the iPhone 5s/Pandora connectivity issues. Updated to latest firmware and now after driving about 20 minutes it keeps restarting, and after several restarts it often shuts down for several minutes. No message on the screen, and it always starts up where it left off. I'm typically listening to Pandora when it happens, but it still restarts even after switching to FM. It's wintertime and I have the heater on, but even with it blowing only to the windshield (and not all that hot either) it did the on-off-on-off-on-off thing this morning. I pulled over and restarted the car and it came on like normal, then about 20 minutes later (with heater not blasting at all) it went into its restart loops. It doesn't seem like overheating conditions in the cabin (ambient temp ~40F).

I'm driving 2 OEM 6" door speakers plus tweeters directly from the Z150, I don't yet have an amp nor rear speakers/subwoofer. My iPhone 5s is always plugged in when the restart happens.

Any thoughts? Any suggested troubleshooting? Any potential cures?

I have had the same issues with a few of my customers here in town.  I posted about this and have had no response.  Pioneer says they have not seen any issues.  I know of a few other dealers across the nation with the same problem.  What have they told you? 

the issues we are having here is

-unit will reboot after about 20 minutes

-unit will randomly bring up improper brake detected warning

-some units show vss improper connection warning and you cannot operate the unit until power cycling the unit

Hi all, just joined and this is my first post. 

I just installed my new Z150 in an '11 Cayman about 3 weeks ago.  Seemed to work fine, though it initially had the iPhone 5s/Pandora connectivity issues.  Updated to latest firmware and now after driving about 20 minutes it keeps restarting, and after several restarts it often shuts down for several minutes.  No message on the screen, and it always starts up where it left off.  I'm typically listening to Pandora when it happens, but it still restarts even after switching to FM.  It's wintertime and I have the heater on, but even with it blowing only to the windshield (and not all that hot either) it did the on-off-on-off-on-off thing this morning.  I pulled over and restarted the car and it came on like normal, then about 20 minutes later (with heater not blasting at all) it went into its restart loops.  It doesn't seem like overheating conditions in the cabin (ambient temp ~40F).

I'm driving 2 OEM 6" door speakers plus tweeters directly from the Z150, I don't yet have an amp nor rear speakers/subwoofer.  My iPhone 5s is always plugged in when the restart happens. 

Any thoughts?  Any suggested troubleshooting?  Any potential cures?

Is the latest firmware the one Pioneer has on the web site, posted March of 2013? If there's a newer version, where do you obtain it?

Update...I went through the update process again with files downloaded from Pioneer website. Restart got worse, then didn't start at all. Pioneer said that you cannot have the brake bypass when updating firmware, you must "de-bypass" it first then do the update. Since I bought it online I would have to work through the online retailer for warranty fix, or send it to Pioneer and they'll fix for $230. Fortunately the online retailer was quite responsive and is sending me a replacement unit. Once I get the replacement ( and confirm it works as received), I'll send it to Pioneer and have them update firmware themselves ($60). A PITA, but it is what it is. Tired of commuting to work in my Porsche listening to Pandora from my iPhone (cue my daughter..."First World problem, Dad, get over it!").

• 2 weeks later...

Should have said "works perfectllll....wait a minute." The restarts are happening again, though not as bad. Drove over an hour home from the airport 2 days ago listening to Pandora and had no problems. Drove to work the next day and had a couple restarts after about 15 minutes. It occasionally restarts regardless of whether my iPhone 5s is pluged in and whether I'm listening to Pandora or FM. The replacement Z150 is a November '13 build NIB from Pioneer, and I've not tried to install any updates.

I visited an experienced Z150 installer (including Porsches like mine) and he hadn't had any issues. He thought it may be the accessory circuit I tied into was cutting out, causing the cycling of power. Pandora still doesn't work great (very unreliable when trying to change stations), but I'm not convinced they're related.

Any other ideas on things to check would be very appreciated.

Should have said "works perfectllll....wait a minute." The restarts are happening again, though not as bad. Drove over an hour home from the airport 2 days ago listening to Pandora and had no problems. Drove to work the next day and had a couple restarts after about 15 minutes. It occasionally restarts regardless of whether my iPhone 5s is pluged in and whether I'm listening to Pandora or FM. The replacement Z150 is a November '13 build NIB from Pioneer, and I've not tried to install any updates.

I visited an experienced Z150 installer (including Porsches like mine) and he hadn't had any issues. He thought it may be the accessory circuit I tied into was cutting out, causing the cycling of power. Pandora still doesn't work great (very unreliable when trying to change stations), but I'm not convinced they're related.

Any other ideas on things to check would be very appreciated.

I don't have a Z150 so I'm reluctant to comment on Z150 issues. However it doesn't sound like your problem is specific to the Z150. So I'll jump in.

It sounds like you have the "standard" sound system (not Sound Package Plus or Bose), probably with the CRD30. Correct? . So you have the 2.9L since the 'S' has SPP standard (and SPP has rear speakers & ext amp).   The Z150 should just be a drop-in replacement (with the correct adapter kit, wiring harness, and correct interface connections).

It does sound like one of the power leads is dropping power intermitently. If no settings are being lost, sounds like it might be the switched (red) line - which really just triggers On (warm boot)/Off. However, I can't say for sure that a momentary loss of constant 12v (yellow) would not have the same symptoms.But I'd guess that at least some of the time you'd get a full reset - loosing settings.

From your description, it sounds like your red is wired directly to the fuse box (I use B-9  with an extend-a-fuse).

987.2 Fuse box w/extend-a-fuse

I'm guessing you just use the 12v constant power from the factory Quadlock connector. Did you buy a quadlock adapter for the factory harness or did you just tap/splice the wires?

If you paid for this installation, I'd keep going back until it is right. If you DIY installed, did you use the EuroMotorSport kit?

I'd say you've eliminated the firmware update and HU as the cause.

Other possibilitities: 

• a crimped wire. Packing all that wiring back into the center console, it could be a nicked wire or strained connection.
  • it could also be overheating. Not much ventlation back there and it is close to the heater core. I don't think that is the problem - but ????
  • maybe intermittent ground problem.

post-43400-0-13823900-1391276740_thumb.jpg

Found the problem...it's auto electronics 101: blown fuse (with slight spin).

I used the excellent Euro Motorspeed kit to install my z150 in my Porsche 987.2 Cayman base. It includes the extend-a-fuse RonS shows above (thanks), but in posiotion C6. The extend-a-fuse has 2 7.5A fuses to replace the OEM 15A fuse. I had checked the outer fuse before when visually verifying my wiring job and it was fine. Yesterday, with a dead HU that only occasionally came to life bit never lost settings, I pulled both fuses. Voila! The inner fuse had what looks like a mechanical ( not thermal) break. It was very hard to see as both sides of the element were almost touching. As soon as I replaced with a good one, it worked perfectly! Just finished a 90 minute drive with no problems. I noticed no car problems from the blown fuse because the circuit C6 protects is the auto dim mirror and parking sensors...neither of which I have.

I suspect it was a fuse that was either mechanically compromised from the outset, or separated during my install handling. Perhaps the element when cold touches each half, but when the heater kicks in and warms it up it flexes and separates (it gets as cold as 35F here in California mornings...sorry New York ;-).

Lesson learned...always start with a good look at the fuses!

Thanks for everyone's help (you too, Loi)!