AVIC411.com

AVH-X4600BT App Radio (Netflix) Questions iPhone5

I recently installed an AVH-X4600BT in my truck with a Microbypass and the Pioneer CD-IV203 cable and an Apple lightning to VGA adapter.  I can get the app mode to launch while connected to my iPhone 5 but I can't get it to mirror Netflix or any other video app like youtube.  I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing?  Thank you for any help. 

• 2 months later...

I don't think it will work like that.  I just installed my AVH-5600BHS a few days ago and haven't really read through the manual completely yet, but my initial impressions are as follows:

Appradio mode pretty much sucks ass.  Not worth the $100 in cables it cost.    You have to configure Bluetooth (not USB) connection, which is totally counter-intuitive. Then you have to download the Appradio iPhone app.  THEN when you plug in your iPhone, most of the time you'll get a mysterious error message saying something like "App not supported" or "Unsupported app" (or something like that) followed by a black screen.  Then by mashing various buttons and hitting the "mode" button you can sometimes get it to actually go into App Mode.

App Mode is totally proprietary.  What is called in the software business a "walled garden" - you can't go anywhere outside the garden, and you can only see the flowers that have been put there for you.  What I mean by this metaphor is that you'll only see the "approved" AppRadio apps (which are pretty limited).  Pandora, Netflix. Youtube are NOT supported under Appradio.   There is an app called EC Touch which looks like it might give you access to Youtube, but based on the other Appradio apps I've played around with, I won't get your hopes up.

Thank God I didn't buy the Appradio 3 which I considered before getting the AVH-5600.  At least I can put in a DVD loaded with a few hundred songs and rock out.  Pandora works too, but NOT the way you think. It s a bastardized version where the HU takes over Pandora on the phone and you have to control everything from the head unit.  iTunes also works by selecting "iPod" as a source.

I still have a lot to figure out, but my general impression is that the software running on this unit seems like it was written by a bunch of committees that didn't talk to each other very often.  It is REALLY REALLY confusing and buggy as Hell.

The SQ is good though and the backup camera works really well.  :-)

Good luck!