AVIC411.com

Pioneer to add support for Apple CarPlay to its 2014 In-dash Car Multimedia Systems this Summer

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It says the system takes a "lightning equipped iPhone" it does not say it takes only a lightning cable. I can almost assure you it will require the same adapters it currently takes to support app mode and video.

When Apple controls the protocol, why would it require the adapters? The whole point is that this is AirPlay (MPEG-4 + PCM) + Touch Input over USB, similar to MirrorLink. Apple didn't require adapters for iPod mode over USB, why would they for this?

Would be great to use airplay and not have to connect any wires, but it does say use of lightning connector and is only comparable with the iPhone 5 line

It uses AirPlay as the video output protocol (over USB). Developers have pulled out interesting data that suggests CarPlay can be done over Wifi Direct as well (sending the touches over wireless), but it doesn't appear to be available at launch. 

While interesting, I'm going to plug my phone in anyways to charge, so it might as well send the data that way too.

Where did you get the info that Car Play works over Air Play? Air Play works over WiFi. Has anyone verified that these units have WiFi?

No where in the installation or owners manual does the nex list any kind of wireless specifications or antennas, my guess would be through the lightning cable, but airplay can be done through Bluetooth as it is done on home stereos and other devices. It will remain to be seen if airplay could be done to the nex. Summertime wil answer our questions

Where did you get info that Air Play was achieved over BT?

No where in the installation or owners manual does the nex list any kind of wireless specifications or antennas, my guess would be through the lightning cable, but airplay can be done through Bluetooth as it is done on home stereos and other devices. It will remain to be seen if airplay could be done to the nex. Summertime wil answer our questions

The NEX does airplay. Next time you get a call pull up your settings bar on the iphone and AIRPLAY will be highlighted. It will AVIC-8000NEX, IPHONE, or IPHONE SPEAKER. havent tried it with music yet. Ill check in a few when im on my break

Just because something shows in the widget doesn't mean it uses AirPlay. Bluetooth A2DP and USB/Dock audio out are included in the widget and don't use AirPlay.

But the key part of AirPlay is the real-time video/audio compression and streaming, with some tech to handle discovery and connections to devices. It doesn't have to be done over Wifi. I should probably clarify that I'm referencing the streaming media part of AirPlay, and not the discovery/connection part, although that might be similar for CarPlay over wifi if it appears.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/09/hidden-ios-7-beta-option-points-to-ios-in-the-car-airplay-support-over-wi-fi

Ok, Air Play uses WiFi only. BT does not support the bandwidth for video so Car Play is not using Air Play and will never be wireless unless the units support WiFi. I understand Car Play may support wireless with iOS8 but that means nothing if the unit doesn't support WiFi.