AVIC411.com

Questions about NEX units

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a 4000NEX (which, btw, I think will be THE most sought-after head unit on the market if the whole CarPlay thing works out really well), but I have non-CarPlay questions and hoping a NEX owner might enlighten me. I've check the manual and read through many forums (including these) and haven't been able to find specific answers, so here I am...

Can I connect my iPhone to the 4000NEX via USB-to-lightning (no digital AV adapter) for listening to music streamed from apps on my phone (rdio, Spotify, etc.) and simultaneously be connected to the head unit via Bluetooth for phone calls/Siri?

If so, is the display of album artwork limited to locally-stored music only, or will it also be displayed if, for example, my phone is connected via USB-to-lightning and I play something in Spotify or rdio?

When connected via USB-to-lightning, can any of the phone-installed apps be controlled via the head unit or (supported) steering wheel controls? For example: If I'm streaming music with iTunes radio or Pandora, can I select music and skip tracks via the head unit, or do I have to control things via the phone?

If I receive a call while driving and listening to music with USB as the source), is the head unit "smart" enough to dictate that the Bluetooth source should "pause" (i.e., override) the USB source so that I can take the call (or until I've ignored it (most likely :))?

Any answers/insight would be greatly appreciated. I really do wish a lot of these head unit manufacturers would provide more specific detail with respect to what works and how. It's almost like they're trying to be vague about their products' features...

Thanks for reading.

Can I connect my iPhone to the 4000NEX via USB-to-lightning (no digital AV adapter) for listening to music streamed from apps on my phone (rdio, Spotify, etc.) and simultaneously be connected to the head unit via Bluetooth for phone calls/Siri?

Without a doubt. A Bluetooth connection is made automatically for phone functionality and you'll see battery and signal strength on the main screen. You can do all the music stuff over USB while the Bluetooth connection is active. A long press on the radio's home button (or on your steering wheel, if properly configured) activates Siri in eyes-free mode. One thing "eyes free" means is you won't see your Siri conversation on your phone's screen.

If so, is the display of album artwork limited to locally-stored music only, or will it also be displayed if, for example, my phone is connected via USB-to-lightning and I play something in Spotify or rdio?

Every app I've tried (including NPR, Music, Podcasts, Pandora and Spotify) sends metadata and album art to the head unit's display, and responds to play/pause/skip.

When connected via USB-to-lightning, can any of the phone-installed apps be controlled via the head unit or (supported) steering wheel controls? For example: If I'm streaming music with iTunes radio or Pandora, can I select music and skip tracks via the head unit, or do I have to control things via the phone?

As above. Play/pause/skip works from the head unit. Even scanning through a playlist in the NPR app.

If I receive a call while driving and listening to music with USB as the source), is the head unit "smart" enough to dictate that the Bluetooth source should "pause" (i.e., override) the USB source so that I can take the call (or until I've ignored it (most likely :))?

I've had radios in the past where I get a phone call and I can't talk because the music is still playing (or mistakenly started playing when the call came in). This hasn't happened with the 4000NEX.

I'm not a fan of AppRadio, but I love this headunit.

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a 4000NEX (which, btw, I think will be THE most sought-after head unit on the market if the whole CarPlay thing works out really well), but I have non-CarPlay questions and hoping a NEX owner might enlighten me. I've check the manual and read through many forums (including these) and haven't been able to find specific answers, so here I am...

Any answers/insight would be greatly appreciated. I really do wish a lot of these head unit manufacturers would provide more specific detail with respect to what works and how. It's almost like they're trying to be vague about their products' features...

Thanks for reading.

Yes the phone works fine with the radio in this fashion. All album art shows on the heady it regardless of where it is coming from when over USB. Bluetooth also functions normally.

Yes, full steering wheel control is supported over USB. Pandora actually has an app in the radio that works with the unit to let you thumb up and down tracks and change stations as well as other features.

Yes. The phone actually does this. The headunit doesn't have to. iPhones don't allow the song to keep playing while on a call. The only time this has ever failed me was when I was running the beta.

If you have any other questions we have a lot of devoted users on here to answer them. Welcome to the community.

Thanks guys! You're both awesome. :) spblat: We're having conversations in parallel universes! LOL

This head unit sounds really great. I really dig the UI a lot. I think that, compared with most other head units, it's really simple and clean, so it's nice to know they nailed the basics. Forgetting about the hot mess that is AppRadio, I think this will be my next unit. With a little hope, Apple will do it's thing with Pioneer and CarPlay will work out really well (fingers crossed), making this a mind-blowing system. w00t! :D

Without a doubt. A Bluetooth connection is made automatically for phone functionality and you'll see battery and signal strength on the main screen. You can do all the music stuff over USB while the Bluetooth connection is active. A long press on the radio's home button (or on your steering wheel, if properly configured) activates Siri in eyes-free mode. One thing "eyes free" means is you won't see your Siri conversation on your phone's screen.

Every app I've tried (including NPR, Music, Podcasts, Pandora and Spotify) sends metadata and album art to the head unit's display, and responds to play/pause/skip.

As above. Play/pause/skip works from the head unit. Even scanning through a playlist in the NPR app.

I've had radios in the past where I get a phone call and I can't talk because the music is still playing (or mistakenly started playing when the call came in). This hasn't happened with the 4000NEX.

I'm not a fan of AppRadio, but I love this headunit.

Not a fan of AppRadio? Really? I couldn't tell from your YouTube post. ;-)

Thanks for helping a brother out!

Yes the phone works fine with the radio in this fashion. All album art shows on the heady it regardless of where it is coming from when over USB. Bluetooth also functions normally.

Yes, full steering wheel control is supported over USB. Pandora actually has an app in the radio that works with the unit to let you thumb up and down tracks and change stations as well as other features.

Yes. The phone actually does this. The headunit doesn't have to. iPhones don't allow the song to keep playing while on a call. The only time this has ever failed me was when I was running the beta.

If you have any other questions we have a lot of devoted users on here to answer them. Welcome to the community.

Ahhh...yeah. I should have thought of that...the phone managing the pausing of music for calls and such. Doh!

Thanks for the answers and the warm welcome. :)

Oh yeah...

When I talked to a local shop about installation, the guy said I *might* need a new back-up camera if the resolution of my OEM camera isn't high enough -- that it could look really pixelated on the larger display (the screen in my OEM head unit is only 4.3") or appear letter boxed all the way around.

Did either of your vehicles have an OEM backup camera? If so, did you replace it with an aftermarket camera? Or did you keep the OEM cam? Any issues? I'm thinking he's probably just trying to upsell me...

Thanks again.

That guy is trying to take money out of your hand. You're talking about an analog coaxial interface. The resolution is never going to be phenomenal.

Take it this way. The camera is already there. Tell the guy to wire it up as is with the existing camera. If after he does that and the camera is poor quality as he says, then you spend the little extra to upgrade the camera in the future. Unless the guy is saying the existing camera won't physically work why throw the man hours redoing all that wiring?

Also with the 4.3 inch display was the picture out if that camera clear? If so it will still look good out of the larger display if wired correctly.

That guy is trying to take money out of your hand. You're talking about an analog coaxial interface. The resolution is never going to be phenomenal.

Take it this way. The camera is already there. Tell the guy to wire it up as is with the existing camera. If after he does that and the camera is poor quality as he says, then you spend the little extra to upgrade the camera in the future. Unless the guy is saying the existing camera won't physically work why throw the man hours redoing all that wiring?

Also with the 4.3 inch display was the picture out if that camera clear? If so it will still look good out of the larger display if wired correctly.

I kind of thought so. He didn't say it was physically incompatible or anything...he was just skeptical that it would be as clear as it could be with a "better" camera, given my OEM HU's small display. I'll probably just have the head unit and SWCs installed and start there. The picture on the 4.3" display is just so-so, but I'm thinking that its "meh" is due more to the quality of the display itself than the camera.

I really appreciate you answering my questions about the 4000NEX, btw. I'm totally stoked now! LOL Here's hoping CarPlay is a home run (and the icing on the cake)...

I kind of thought so. He didn't say it was physically incompatible or anything...he was just skeptical that it would be as clear as it could be with a "better" camera, given my OEM HU's small display. I'll probably just have the head unit and SWCs installed and start there. The picture on the 4.3" display is just so-so, but I'm thinking that its "meh" is due more to the quality of the display itself than the camera.

I really appreciate you answering my questions about the 4000NEX, btw. I'm totally stoked now! LOL Here's hoping CarPlay is a home run (and the icing on the cake)...

Trust me. All of us have been watching the videos of both carplay, and more recently google's version as well. We very much want a better way to control our phones in our cars. Here's hoping apple does what Apple does and gives us what they've been advertising.

Trust me. All of us have been watching the videos of both carplay, and more recently google's version as well. We very much want a better way to control our phones in our cars. Here's hoping apple does what Apple does and gives us what they've been advertising.

Agreed. The saving grace to me is that Apple like to have SUPER tight controls on their technology and over companies who partner with them on branded technology they've developed in-house. Some companies just know how to deliver a great user experience much better than others.