AVIC411.com

Auto-Eq - How is it applied?

So i set up the auto EQ and i thought when its set up, all the sound settings ie. crossovers, eq would be grayed out but it isn't.  I can still make the changes to the eq and it still says the autoeq is still applied.  So is the autoeq setting "layered" on top of your own custom eq settings?  Also, when I'm setting up the auto eq, do I have to change the EQ to be flat or turn off all crossovers or will the autoeq program automatically do that?

My best guess, having attempted AutoEQ setup multiple times over the years with several HU models.  Haven't used it lately so my recollection may be a bit lacking... others will likely correct or state their opinions to the contrary :)

Setup automatically bypasses any EQ settings, but not crossover settings... the latter of which it will change as it determines appropriate.   However, crossover frequency and slope always seems to be changed to, if not already there, 80Hz@-6dB per octave on all 5 channels.  Output level (and subwoofer polarity) may also be change... automatically.

When AutoEQ is enabled, any applied EQ levels are invoked behind the GUI (i.e. not displayed)... so user settings are applied as an additional layer.  Crossover setting are as shown in the GUI, but changing to any other settings with AutoEQ enabled essentially defeats its purpose.

FWIW, I have never attained results satisfactory to my ears and consider implementation to be a waste of time.  I have not tried using any microphone other than the one included with older models.  If/when I get my 8000 installed, I will likely try it again with the specified mic and a 3rd-party calibrated microphone... and after each run a spectrum analysis using 3rd-party software and the same 3rd-party calibrated mic, just for comparison.

Read through the manual. It states clearly to set the equalizer to flat, put the mic on the driver headrest, close all windows and doors, start the process with the engine off in a quiet space and for you not to be in the car during the process.

This is different than an eq I feel. This is a baseline acoustic tuning for your speakers. From there youre allowed to tweak up the bass or the treble to your liking but this auto eq creates a new "flat" baseline setting based on your car setup.

Now how good of a job it does is a topic of debate but I think that's the goal.

I agree, that is the intent.

But with AutoEQ enabled you have to further tweak audio output to your liking, it really, really, really is a moot process.  :idea:

I agree, that is the intent.

But with AutoEQ enabled you have to further tweak audio output to your liking, it really, really, really is a moot process.  :idea:

I suppose I should add that it is not totally useless.  It will help those that don't have a good ear for a tonal balance (or 3rd party means)... and time alignment can be somewhat helpful (but I just rely on a tape measure :))

hm, i noticed in my speaker level settings, my subwoofer is set at -15db.  does that mean i set my sub amp gain too high? (I know the gain isn't necessarily a volume control).  if i set the sub gain lower, will the speaker level setting (set by auto eq) be closer to 0?

I just had my 8000 installed on Tuesday, July 1. The first things I did was set the eq to flat, adjusted the amp gains by ear, and ran AuotEQ; to my hearing, the improvement was significant.

I did tweak the x-over to 100 Hz and slope to -18db post autoEQ. I'll make further tweaks as I listen and identify needed improvements.

It always amazes me the differences in opinion, and still more so how frequently some assign idiocy as the source of opinions that don't match theirs. My settings are for my pleasure. Having said that, I am puzzled by some of what AutoEQ set for speaker distance. Learnig this HU is a process!

Having said that, I am puzzled by some of what AutoEQ set for speaker distance.

Exactly.  Over the years I have had AutoEQ time alignment come up with some pretty strange distances.  That's why I rely on a tape measure... measuring the most direct path between driver and ear.

You can turn off time alignment and leave auto-eq on.

Whatever you dial in is independent of Auto-EQ, if you ran it and have it enabled.  The microphone you use for the autoEQ matters as well; the MC20 thing Pioneer sells is garbage (better than nothing, but....)  A $40 mono condenser omni that I happened to have laying around produces MUCH better results than the MC20 does.

The problem with auto time alignment is that it is a process that has material potential for error when the speaker doesn't have a straight shot at the microphone, and many do not, especially in an environment with hard surfaces that can reflect energy.  It is particularly acute for speakers mounted low in the doors, those that bounce off the windshield (especially if the rear of the driver is open in the dash, and most are), etc.  The system can easily get confused because of all the reflective surfaces in the vehicle resulting in multiple "arrivals" of the given sound pulse at the microphone -- discerning "which one?" is a potential problem.