AVIC411.com

It's the phone. You can jailbreak and use Bt4obd ($4) but that is technically unsupported.

Honestly, the clone elm327 are crap. I bought one to play with-- it came with pirated software. The Bluetooth drops in and out constantly to a laptop.

I ordered the MX Wifi.

So, when you said it is the iPhone that was to blame, it is not really the iPhone, it is the dongle that is not compatible with the phone. 

The iPhone restricts the use of non Apple certified/signed Bluetooth devices from using the appropriate profile.  The "Made for Apple" program/license is quite expensive (starts at $100k).  So, certified devices need to recoup that cost, thus cost more.

Is that the phone to blame or the dongle?

-dsd

The iPhone restricts the use of non Apple certified/signed Bluetooth devices from using the appropriate profile.  The "Made for Apple" program/license is quite expensive (starts at $100k).  So, certified devices need to recoup that cost, thus cost more.

Is that the phone to blame or the dongle?

-dsd

Exactly my point, the dongle not being MFi, is then non compatible with the iPhone. So the dongle is to blame.

I do, on the other end, understand the cost that must be included in the price.

You have this and tested it yourself?

at $30, it is much more tempting than it was at $99-150

• 4 weeks later...

I received it today (the cheap eBay one). It works fine as far ad I can tell. The guy in china made a mistake and sent me the BT version first. So I have the BT and wifi version of the dongle in my hands! He told me to keep the BT as it was his mistake. The wifi worked fine with just a minute of setup and many minutes of exploration in my (stopped) car. I've tested the BT version and could not have it being recognized by the iPhone, as expected in a way. But if did not insist a lot on it too.

DashCommand interface is a little bit weird sometimes. Some screen display on the app radio a log in very tiny fonts and no way to really come back to the main menu, not that I found any. But some of the dashboards are cute. There may be some other app not compatible with app radio but with OBD interface that may be more interesting to explore I guess.