AVIC411.com

Class action

Alright, don't flame me for the question. Let's say Pioneer busts their "summer" promise for carplay and they have already been misleading on Avicsync. At what point are they liable for false advertising?

They will have promoted and sold a product lacking two features for the better part of a year. These "promised" features sold a lot of units over competing companies just because of the icon on the box and the promise that they will be here someday.

Will they be rolling out the next generation of "Nex" head units before it's actually usable? If so, we were all screwed and overcharged.

Alright, don't flame me for the question. Let's say Pioneer busts their "summer" promise for carplay and they have already been misleading on Avicsync. At what point are they liable for false advertising?

They will have promoted and sold a product lacking two features for the better part of a year. These "promised" features sold a lot of units over competing companies just because of the icon on the box and the promise that they will be here someday.

Will they be rolling out the next generation of "Nex" head units before it's actually usable? If so, we were all screwed and overcharged.

What "promise?" They promised features. The timeline for delivering those features is and has been a bit more nebulous.

Carplay shouldn't have had anything to do with AvicSync or Maestro RR firmware updates.

agreed. 

At this point I am pretty disappointed in the decision I made to get the NEX over the alpine or kenwood units I was looking at. Carplay was a major selling point when I decided what to buy.

agreed. 

At this point I am pretty disappointed in the decision I made to get the NEX over the alpine or kenwood units I was looking at. Carplay was a major selling point when I decided what to buy.

As someone who had nothing but Kenwood for the past 14 years, I'll say be glad you didn't go with Kenwood.  I generally switch out my head unit about every two years and the past 3 have been utter shit.

Really? They suck that bad? Today is my final day to return the Avic unit and I am really on the fence right now about what to do. I was thinking of switching it up and getting the DNN991HD or the alpine X009-GM (9" screen). I have a few hours to decide. 

Biggest factors for me are the flac and .mkv playback options, from what I know none of the other units do that. Also the 1gb of RAM is supposed to make the 8000nex faster than all the other options out there.

I think the kenwood UI is slick and looks nice. 

Worst case scenario I can return and go back to the avic if I don't like my next choice I guess. 

I might just return for cash and just wait until all the other carplay offerings are on the table later this year. 

Really? They suck that bad?

The interface wasn't ever that bad, but they were just buggy as hell.  They would completely lock up, or continuously reload the screen.  Sometimes the buttons would end up mis-mapped and I'd have to reset them. 

... I was thinking of switching it up and getting the DNN991HD...

I have the 990.  I hear the 991 boots up faster... but not by much, maybe 10% at best.  I have to wait over a minute (it varies, could be longer) after power up for the unit to be usable.  I have a remote starter installed in my car.  I'll start car in advance to heat/cool the car beforehand, but there are times when I'll just remote start so the HU is already usable when I get in the car.

Another major issue is the navi loses its memory of where you've been, where you want to go, even Home... not frequent but losing it to begin with is too often... always a PITA.

There'll also be times when I'm driving down the road and it'll decide to do a reset all on its own (a reset usually takes ten to fifteen minutes to complete).  Fortunately I learned the best thing to do is just power the unit off and back on usually returns it to 'normal' operation.  Another infrequent occurrence, but as always another PITA.

No lossless audio file support (makes me appreciate my iPod supporting ALAC).

I like the wifi connectivity a plus... but I don't use it very much... can't use driving down the road and be a safe driver at the same time... but I suppose it'd be okay for something like iHeart radio which requires very little attention (lossy quality sucks though :))

Not ready to replace it with a NEX because of the features it does do good... but can't say much more than that.

Lack of lossless support is a deal-breaker for me; I looked closely at the Kenwood and JVC models before buying the NEX and IMHO both were severely lacking and not just in that regard (no support) either.

Neither of them properly handled a SSD full of music, for example, when it came to sort order and similar things.

What "promise?" They promised features. The timeline for delivering those features is and has been a bit more nebulous.

The "promise" I am referring to is the clear icons on the box and website advertising the features of the head unit. If you bought a 2014 car today that promised features like avicsync and carplay but didn't actually make it until the 2015 year model you'd be a bit angry wouldn't you?

I'll concede that carplay could be delayed by apple, but there's no excuse for "selling" avicsync when there is no avicsync.

Thanks for the input guys. I guess maybe some of the bitching on the forum here finally got to me. I have done some due diligence on the other models and I have decided to keep the NEX unit. Your input was greatly appreciated. 

Sorry for hijacking the thread.....Now we can get back to mobbing with our pitchforks. 

In terms of features not being available and getting a class action going over that, look into sony pulling features from the ps3 that were there at launch and then they decided they didn't like (otherOS). Nothing could be done about it. The device still served it's main purpose and that was good enough.