AVIC411.com

Complete newb planning on installing D3

I've never even seen the back of a car stereo in person. But i want to install my own D3 in my 07 Civic Si. Mostly i want the satisfaction of doing it myself and also i want to save a a BUNCH of money. I dont know what amp outputs or are NOTHING. I know NOTHING about car radios /installation. However i'm willing to learn.

First can anyone lead me to a basic simple guide of car stereo installation? i dont know anyone that can help me with this in person, so the net is my only help.

Second i guess i need to get together a parts list to do this.

I assume i'm gonna need a dash kit of some sort. This is all god but i want the color of the center dash to match perfectly so i was thinking of going to the dealer and ordering a replacement center dash that is supposed to be for a civic Si with navigation. This will leave me with a big empty square to work with. Problem is i think i need some sort of holder to bridge the gap between center dash and actual unit. I dont know how this works, i'm assuming a metra or some sort of kit has something to fill this gap, am i right? or wrong?

This is my current dash (differet color, mine is Si-black)

06civicex010.jpg

I'm gonna order a Si with nav replacement center dash piece, i'm gonna be getting this in a si-black

06Civic041.jpg

This is what behind the center dash looks like

06civicex023.jpg

This guy here has an avic. My question is wht bridges the gap between the unit and the center dash? wht keeps it there? and where do i get that piece?

Picture181f.jpg

I also plan on installing a D3 in a 2007 Civic SI.

Your best starting point are the forums at 8thcivic.com - there is a DIY sticky that has a TON of DIY pointers on installation.

I understand there are pieces scattered throughout this forum with information that might be useful - stuff like getting at the VSS and parking brake wire.

Check out the 8thcivic forum, read the DIY regarding adding a new head unit, search this forum for access to the specific wires, and I think you should be good to go.

I'm also learning as I go, and I haven't installed mine yet either. I do plan on dropping some speakers in my door this week, though.

I've done these before in our shop, its easy, you can order the bezel from Honda or Metra, Honda is a better piece. use the brackets that hold your stock radio to the bezel and your in. The rest is just wiring.(get the metra harness too

you're lucky. my Accord doesn't even have the option of a double din

what year accord is it? From what I remember from 90-07 you can put a double din in. I might be off by a year or 2 in the beginning but for the last 10years it is possible to put a double din in.

Do It Yourself!!! You'll be sooo satisfied when it's complete. First goto a store and get the wire harness for your car. Crutchfield.com has it and it will come with a sheet of instructions on where the screws and stuff are to take off your dash. Just match the colors from the wires on the harness with the wires on the Avic's harness, make sure you ground all the black wires by attaching them to a screw that screws into the body of the car, because the body of the car is grounded. After all that is done read about the forums and do the brake hack this way you dont have to search for your positive brake wire and if you have a radio that adjusts itself when you speed up, you can attach that to the VSS ( Vehicle Speed Senor ). Otherwise don't install it, it won't be that much more inaccurate. Good Luck! Post with your progress!

Thanks everyone. and thanks above poster for the links. I'm also a member of 8thcivic and i've been getting information there also.

BTW misfit where is your shop? i see your from N.J.. If it turns out i cant get the time to do this myself it would be nice to take it to a shop that has already done 06+ civics.

Yeah actually misfit, where in NJ is your shop located, and how much would you charge for an install in a 2002 Mazda Protege (with an Avic-N1 previously installed)?

And would you do the bypass? The only reason I ask is my local shop refuse to do the bypass...so in my avic-n1 I was lucky enough to use the parking brake as a switch because my first click activated the "parking brake on" light but didn't apply any pressure on the brakes.

However, with my D3, I now have to worry about the Cell mute wire and whether they would ground that for me....which even tho that alone doesn't do anything, I have a feeling they still wouldn't do it.