AVIC411.com

AppRadio2 - iPhone 6 - iOS8

I've read the other posts and various reports on the web on how AppRadio mode performs with iOS8. Most of what I've seen is using an iPhone 5s and the Appradio 3.

I came from an iPhone 4S and I couldn't hold out any longer for a new phone. Enter the iPhone 6 with iOS8. I installed the proper firmware updates to my AR2 and am currently running 8.30.

Well... It all starts up just fine, although the bluetooth connection can take a while to complete. It also seems to be unstable. 

- AppRadio mode opens and the touchscreen works. The screen is smallish, as reported. 

- Other Apps seem to launch OK the first time, but switching between apps is very unstable. The connection between my phone and radio drops often. 

- I used Waze on my commute this morning. It froze just a couple of blocks from my house. I had to unplug the lightning connector and reconnect it. Once i got Waze up and running again, it froze. I know Waze isn't optimized for iOS8 yet, so the issue could be that or it could be a firmware thing...?

- Pandora works OK, but again it's unstable.

- All apps are relatively unstable. It appears to me to be related to the stability of the bluetooth connection. 

Question: When connected to my phone, I can see a "bluetooth software update". I can press "start" and it just seems to hang there. When I look at my bluetooth connection I can see a slow 25%... 50%... 75%... complete. Is there a proper way to update the bluetooth software, or even know if I need it? Thanks.

I guess for now we can only wait for more updates to come trickling in. I've got my eye on the upcoming Alpine CarPlay head unit though. If it "just works" I'll be ready to ditch my AR2.