AVIC411.com

NEX 5000 & new 1.06 Pioneer Carplay update notes

A few observations:

1. You CANNOT use any Apple VGA/HDMI adapters with the 1.06 update if you want Carplay. Remove them and run a USB-Lightning cable to USB1 ONLY (see #6 below for additional info).

2. Update takes about 15 mins more or less. Heed the warnings: no power shutoff and no removing SD card! Also, make sure SD card is FAT or FAT32. File "AVICxxxxNEX" must be the only folder on the card. Nothing else!

3. Once the update for Carplay was done, I saw a folder called Bluetooth in the main folder so I did a Bluetooth firmware update as well. Took about 10 minutes. Not sure if the Carplay update covered it so I did it anyways. 

4. I rebooted both my phone (Off/On) AND my head unit (car ignition completely off then turned on car again) to clear out any residual gremlins. Works perfectly, icons spaced normally, no BS.

5. Remember to change Settings for Phone Connection to "USB". I have now given up on AppRadio as there's nothing there any more (apart from Waze...) which might be useful.

6. INTERESTING: I had an older iPod (30 pin) hooked up to USB2 and guess what? IT WORKS! Would never work before and now it's a source and I can control it with the HU keys. Hallefrickingjullah.

For all our moaning about the length of time it took Pioneer to get this out, I would say it's worth waiting for. Job well done Pioneer. Now we can go back to yelling at Apple to certify more apps for Carplay...

(Search the "Carplay!!!!" post for my link to an open Dropbox link for the 5000/6000/7000 update file. Top of page 11)