AVIC411.com

help installing a d3

hey guys,

can anyone guide me on how to install my double din d3 into a 1.5 din 99 ford explorer. the face plate is double din, but it's the interior that is not. i have no idea what i need to do. i want to learn how to do it myself and gain some valuable experience, also, i have parts coming in later, so i wanna know what im doing. and be able to put them in myself. however, i don't know jack about doing any of this. i ordered from cf and im getting the install kit and all that kinda stuff.

i am still considering a pro to do it, but i really don't want to donate my kidney in the process. i'll give you an idea of how much they wanna rip me off...nothing less than $350-500. please tell me that is bs.

osuv said he would help me out, but he seems to be mia lately and i am getting my unit in this week.

if you need me to post pics of my headunit, i can do that. also, if it is possible a walkthrough over the phone or email?

thanks guys

its not too bad, get a metra 99-5805 its a univeral ford double din kit. simply attach the radio into the kit, pull off your dash and cut the little lip off the inside of the hole, leave about 1/8 inch on the sides for the brackets to hold on to, then you just run some SHORT screws into the side of the attached metra brackets to hold it to dash and voila your done. and for your questions on install price, my shop for instance would charge $175 for a double din nav radio and $65 to modify your dash

so,

should i go to cc? the best buy round my way won't install anything that i didn't purchase from them, so that's outta the question. sound solutions round my way said they would do it for 300 to 350.

anyone know any installers in the bmore, md area? i want to try putting it in myself, but i'm just terrified ima screw something up...and i want it to look nice, not look like edward scissor hands did it.

info please.

try tweeter...they'll charge you less than 350 for sure.

so,

should i go to cc? the best buy round my way won't install anything that i didn't purchase from them, so that's outta the question. sound solutions round my way said they would do it for 300 to 350.

anyone know any installers in the bmore, md area? i want to try putting it in myself, but i'm just terrified ima screw something up...and i want it to look nice, not look like edward scissor hands did it.

info please.

so i went to a certified installer that said they could the the install for around 200 but refused to do the bypass, could i get him to install it and do the bypass myself?

is that a viable option or would taking the unit out myself after being installed be a bad idea.

thoughts?

there has only been 2 stores that would do the bypass

one place is 350 one place is 500

do the bypass at home, then take the unit to the installer.

so i went to a certified installer that said they could the the install for around 200 but refused to do the bypass, could i get him to install it and do the bypass myself?

is that a viable option or would taking the unit out myself after being installed be a bad idea.

thoughts?

there has only been 2 stores that would do the bypass

one place is 350 one place is 500

If they wont do the bypass, then you will have to remove the unit yourself from the dash. That is most of the work they are doing for you. You should just put it in yourself. The bypass is simple enough, but you having to yank that unit out is just reversing what you are paying them to do.BTW i switched my sn.

so do the bypass and then hav ethem put it in? but don't i have to ground the wires and all that?

man, i'm such a noob, i dun even know what im talking about anymore.

ahahahaha. coocho, do you have pics of the avox you could show me so i know where to put that stuff?

so does that mean that after i get the 2nd gen bluetooth, id have to take it to the installer to put that in as well? i won't be able to put it inmyself because id have to yank it out/