AVIC411.com

Avic Z1 with OEM DVD Player

Ok guys need your thoughts.. I have a F150 King Ranch and I have the Avic Z1 in it... I want to add the OEM Ford DVD system I need to use theirs cause I have the over the rail system and it will match my interior.... so my question is I have a hook up in my roof that is there for the DVD hook up but since I changed out my radio I am wondering would the hook up work still? Can the DVD system be wired in anyway cause I really dont want the DVD system to play of the radio anyway I want the head phones only.... Please your thoughts on this... Thanks for the help....

Ford uses the can-bus system so that the factory radio and DVD player can "talk" to each other.

I had a similar situation with my 2007 Ford Freestyle. My dealer/installer of the Z1 was confident that he had a product that would emulate the can-bus, allowing the DVD player to operate on its own. No go. We ended up taking the factory stereo apart, keeping only the main board (with the wiring harness plugs) and the heatsink, modding up the existing case to make it smaller (like a module for the Z1 accessories), wiring up the power and the can-bus. It works like a champ now.

I can get the audio from the factory DVD player through the car speakers, the kids can use the wireless headphones and I can listen to what I want, or I can put a DVD in the Z1 and the factory unit acts as a secondary monitor.

So, if you're upgrading to the factory DVD player, keep your old Ford stereo around, you're gonna need it.... :)