AVIC411.com

Problem with rear video... rear mounted video terrible

Greetings,

I'm a new member here and I recently install the Z1 in my 2000 Expedition EB Edition. It took a lot of cutting and shaving to get it installed since the '00 Expediton is not a actual double din. I still have some work to do to get it how I want (which includes installing Ducati Boy's bypass module) but so far the Z1 is an awesome piece of technology. Anyway, my problem is I have a rear-mounted flipdown monitor/dvd player made by Directed Electronics. Whenever I try to play the dvd from the Z1 on this monitor in any mode (mirror or dvd) the image is jumpy and distored, not clear like the image showing on the Z1. I've come across a similar post regarding this issue but their dvd image was not a problem. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what steps have they taken to resolve it. I appreciate any help you can offer. I also want to say this is an unbelievable forum and has been very helpful so far with my install efforts. I also look foward to helping someone if I can. Thanks.

It's much more likely the problem is in the monitor or the wiring to the monitor than something wrong with the Z1. Make sure you have a good ground on the monitor, and make sure your RCA cables are routed away from any high current wiring or other interference sources like blower motors.

Sometimes, you can't make some of the screens look good. I got a cheap one on Ebay and ended up chucking it and buying a high end one. Anytime the truck was running, it would turn off and on and the picture would jump all over the place. Some screens just have really crappy power filtering, and some cars have more noise in the power supply than others.

Datahex1000 is right on but a couple of other thoughts to throw out is you probably have external inputs that you can bring another source into it for testing like a portable DVD or game system. If that's cool, it's the wiring. try a shielded set of wires (a little more expensive but worth it) and it should be less suseptible to RFI. I'd run it overland first (not tucked in and hidden) to make sure it works first but you probably have interference. If the current cable is cheap and long, that can contribute also. If after all that and the problem still exists but you've proven the monitor is good with an alternate signal, you might want to look into a video amp, particularily one that allows you to use a pot and adjust the amplitude of the signal.

Good luck.

Digxrayguy

Good idea. Unfortunately, I don't have a portable dvd player lying around but I do have a sixteen year old son and that means I got a ton of different video gaming systems to chose from. I'm sure he won't mind. It's been a hectic week so I have not gotten to test any of your theories yet but I hope to get to it this weekend and get this problem solved. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...