AVIC411.com

Inaccurate GPS in D3

I finally installed a D3 in my Saab 9-2x, with XM & iPod interface. However, the GPS seems to be quite off. It sometimes happens that as I drive down NJ turnpike the GPS "looses track" and the D3 shows that my car is heading in the direction opposite of the actual heading direction (eg northbound on the map when the car is actually going southbound). The GPS eventually catches up, but even then it seems to be a bit off (intersections on the map do not align with the actual intersections).

I have really never seen this happen on any other GPS unit I've previously owned.

Any clues as to what may be wrong? Is there a way to calibrate the D3 GPS?

Mine screwed up at the beginning <50 miles because it hadn't learned well. Now it screws up when it can't get a good satellite connection. It also seems to take a minute of standing still before it really locks in on the satellites. If I start my car up and drive away immediately it gets confused occasionaly, but corrects itself at the first red light.

Mine screwed up at the beginning <50 miles because it hadn't learned well. Now it screws up when it can't get a good satellite connection. It also seems to take a minute of standing still before it really locks in on the satellites. If I start my car up and drive away immediately it gets confused occasionaly, but corrects itself at the first red light.

the wait time before the unit makes connection with satellites i believe is standard issue. it also depends on where you live and how strong of a connection you usually get. even if your unit didn't learn well at the start, it should be able to correct itself as you drive. if you're not satisfied you can always clear the learned data, but the manual itself said that sometimes the arrow can go off track even if the unit is all learned. so clearing the data is always an option.

Did you connect the VSS?

Did you connect the VSS?

X2, sounds like VSS is not hooked up.

No I didn't connect the VSS, I've been having trouble finding it. I thought I had posted that, must have erased it. Anyway, I know that's an issue, I'm hoping it'll be better once I DO find the VSS.

PS - If you know where the '07 Mazdaspeed3 VSS is, please let me know :)

How long(miles) have you had it in there? It does take some time to calibrate. Did you hook up the VSS wire? Is the antenna picking up all the satellites? You can check under hardware info in the nav menu

Yes, I've installed VSS. The unit has only been installed for the last 100 or so miles.

Actually, now it seems to be a bit more accurate even though there is still one particular section of NJ turnpike (around exit 8, fyi) where the unit gets confused. This is quite odd as there are no buildings (or anything else that I can tell) around.

Also, I find their way of showing a car's position on the map a bit odd: the car is at the tip of the arrow. To me, having the actual car location in the center of the arrow would be more intuitive.