AVIC411.com

GPS Antenna Under Dash

Hey guys,

I see that several of you mounted your GPS antenna under your dash. Do any of you have pix of what that looks like so I can get some ideas on how/where to mount mine under there? I have a convertible so I can't mount it on the roof, I don't have a rear package tray, and I don't want it on the trunk.

I don't have a picture, but I slid my antenna under the dash through the radio opening, as far forward as possible, to the point where it was pressing up against the underside of the top dash.

Then I simply took velcro and stuck it their. As far as reception, I've been getting up to all 8 satellites.

Later I read to use the included magnetic sticky pad, otherwise, as quoted from the installation manual "reception will be poor". However I don't have any problems.

In your case, try mounting it away from any overhead metal, and see what kind of reception you're getting in the connection status menu.

My Sirius att is magnetic, so it's sitting right on top of the d3 itself dead center, with great GPS signal. 8) One less visable piece on my stang's dash. 8)

Very Nice Stang BTW!

Glad that worked out for you. Just be careful though... there's a hard drive in there and the GPS antenna has a strong magnet. The two don't really mix well.

My Sirius att is magnetic, so it's sitting right on top of the d3 itself dead center, with great GPS signal. 8) One less visable piece on my stang's dash. 8)

Very Nice Stang BTW!

Glad that worked out for you. Just be careful though... there's a hard drive in there and the GPS antenna has a strong magnet. The two don't really mix well.

there is no hard drive in the D3

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_techspecs_full.php/masterid=34426043

Hard Drive Capacity: 15 GB

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069681_369264980_tab=B,00.html?compName=PNA_V3_ProductDetailsComponent

Data Size 15GB

Now that I think about it.. they're probably just adding up the size of the data on the map discs. My mistake.