AVIC411.com

First time poster and am wondering what is the signal that the D3 needs to activate its night mode. My vehicle has a messed up wiring harness that has no illumination wire and I am wondering if a simple +12V or a ground signal to that wire on a switch will activate the darker background. Thanks for any answers.

yep an interface will do (pac-audio.com should do the trick) and if you dont have an illumination (i have a pontiac g6) and I tapped into the HVAC control for my illumination function.

all you need to do is use a multimeter (a simple light up one should do) ground the top end, and poke around in the wires and see which one dims the light (or if you have a digital multimeter, watch the voltage fluxuate according to the dimmer)

what I did in my car is start by testing the wires behind the actual dimmer knob (cause there are fewer wires) found the wire (light gray for me) and it was the same exact color in the hvac controls so it was easy to locate.

I hope this helps to some extent. I know not having the illumination wire can be a pain. if it is constantly on 12v, it may be too dim in the day and if not hooked up will be way too bright at night. And its a pain to keep adjusting it or flipping a switch to change it.

can someone explain the automatic night mode switch again. I did not understand from reading this thread. i have the "illumination" wire not hooked up to anything. I have a 03 tiburon. what do i need to do to get it to switch automatically to night/daytime mode. thanks!!!

thanks for the quick reply. i have no pink cable in the harness... just found this color code for my car though:

EIA color code

Wire color - Wire function

Black - Vechile Ground (12V-)

Blue - Power Antenna

Blue/White - Remote Turn On (12V+)

Gray - Right Front Speaker Positive (RF+)

Gray/Black - Right Front Speaker Negative (RF-)

Green - Left Rear Speaker Positive (LR+)

Green/Black - Left Rear Speaker Negative (LR-)

Orange - Illumination/Dimmer

Red - Ignition/ Switched (12V+)

Violet - Right Rear Speaker Positive (RR+)

Violet/Black - Right Rear Speaker Negative (RR-)

White - Left Front Speaker Positive (LF+)

White/Black - Left Front Speaker Negative (LF-)

Yellow - Battery/ Constant (12V+)

do i assume correctly to connect "ill" to "orange"? thanks.