AVIC411.com

All I get is Static w/ Sirius

Ok - just installed the Z1 (well, hubby did), and everything is working peachy keen except for my Sirius. All we get is static. We have the PNR-1 installed. Went and bought a PNR-2, still, same issue. Tried switching the attenae from our other vehicles, nothing. It seems that there is a connection, as we get the "acquiring signal" message, as well as being able to channel surf and see the song name, etc. The attenae was tried in both inside on the rear dash, and outside on the back window. Tried calling Sirius, they tell me it's the HU. I just paid $2200 for my set up, it better not be my HU. Any suggestions? Thanks!
This is the husband that was the lucky recipient of the installation task.

After spending about 7 hours in the garage with the wifes new car - the install was completed. As she said - all looks and works great with exception to the sirius. Here are some facts on the sirius.

It's installed under the passenger seat and tapped into the power seats for it's 12v source and ground. Tested with a multimeter - getting just shy of 13 volts. So voltage is not an issue. Grounded to the battery directly - and that didn't help. Pulled the dash down on the drivers side - wedged my hand behind the deck and although it's cramped - the sirius cable is firmly seated.

We've tried two sirius units and both give the same results - no sound. Everything else works fine. And as the wife stated - we can see the channled #'s and names and even song titles - but no sound...

Are we missing something simple or should the sirius just "work" once you plug it in and activate it? We have it in both of our other cars (Kenwood setups) and it's been a simple plug n play. Just wondering if there's something special we need to do to the AVIC Z1 in order for this to work - or if our head unit is bunk.

Last hope for us here is to pull the entire dash apart again and slave in another cable... Just in case it was damaged during install or from the manufacturer. If that doesn't do it - I guess we send our 1600.00 stereo off for repair / replacement. That'll suck!! :(

So please - if anyone has any info on this type of issue - please let us know...

Thanks
Sncboom2k

PS - We were unable to locate a "reverse lead" anywhere in the drivers side kick panel. I ended up tying that lead into the backup lights in the trunk.

We did however tie in the VSS at the clock panel on the green/white wire. Hope that's the right one.

Also - we installed the security override device (way too easy!) but we still get the Caution screens prior to playing a DVD or NAV while in motion. Is this normal? (I did not hook up the parking brake cable as it was mentioned not to on the install pages). The DVD and NAV both work while driving - it's great. Damn Sirius though.....

Thanks in advance.

Here's what I installed today.

Car - 2003 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Avic Z1
PAC-SWI - Looked complicated but was very easy...
New A/C controls with dual A/C mod - very easy
Security Override Module - Too easy!
Sirius PNR1 & 2 - Easy but doesn't work....

And what's with the 6-8ft cable that Pioneer supplies with this thing? No way it's reachin' the trunk (which was my desired location...) Had to settle for under the passengers seat...
I'm going to assume you mean my device that you installed, being "way too easy". Well thank you. I designed it to be easy. Glad you didn't have problems with it. As for the 2 disclaimer screens. Yep, those still show up. No way to get rid of them. Just have to hit ok past those. But after you do, everything works.

As for your sirius problem, I really have no idea. Other than check that the blue end goes in the back of the Z1 and the black end goes in the PNR1 or 2. Check that you have the colors correct.

Did you get any other "accessory" that would connect that way? I pod hookup or aux hookup? It doesn't look like it? But if you had one of those at your disposal, does that work? I'm just grasping at straws. Hope someone else can come up with an idea.
Ducatiboy - you are correct on both accounts. The circuit you designed is completely dummy proof, works GREAT, and we love it! Thank you!

As for the sirius - I must confess my own stupidity... When I installed the cable - the black end was plugged into the deck (as i didn't pay attention to the color). So that left the blue end at the PNR1/2. I simply moved the blue plug into the OUT position and all is well. I figured that "out" last night at about 11P.M. after reading some XM forums...

So - my own stupidity caused that issue. All fixed and the wife has her Sirius again. Did you notice I was on the "I won't sleep until this is fixed path?" hehehe

Thanks again.

Sncboom2k