AVIC411.com

VSS wire for a 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Does anyone know where I can find further information on obtaining the VSS and reverse wires on my MR2? Maybe by a small chance someone already has done this and knows exactly what wires I need? I know the vehicle is very old so many of you may not have any idea but any advice on where to search for this info would be GREATLY appreciated... TIA! :)

~Keith

Nice car though! Your navigation should still work pretty much the same even without the VSS hooked up.

THe only time the VSS comes in handy is to do the following:

when you stop the car it stops arrow movement right away

when you have no gps signal

to make your #D calibration kick in

Nice car though! Your navigation should still work pretty much the same even without the VSS hooked up.

THe only time the VSS comes in handy is to do the following:

when you stop the car it stops arrow movement right away

when you have no gps signal

to make your #D calibration kick in

Thank you very much. It is highly modified and is sponsored by several leading manufacturers. What makes it so unique is the fact that it is a daily driver (in the warmer months) and still used to race road courses and drifting competitions. People are amazed when I show up with a trailer full of goodies and esentially use none of them of evem more, don't strip out the interior. I've worked very hard on the machine and have much more to go with her.

As for the VSS, I'm confused on what kind of signal the AVIC is looking for. Esentially your speed signal comes off the IDM which has anywhere from 3,000 - 15,000 volts running through it. At least for older cars anyways. The speed signal is pretty much the ignition system. So exactly what kind of signal is the system looking for? Obviously it requires a DC signal but if it were to obtain an AC signal, does the AVIC have the ability to translate?

Another option would be to splice in on the RPM signal to / from the ECU. Is that the signal it is requiring? I know most other vehicles that are post '96 have their own speed sensitive module however most pre '96 use a hall effect pickup from each wheel as well as the ISM or RPM signal and then the ECU calculates the two.

I guess what I'm asking is what are some signals I could tap other than post '96 ECU's? I'm sure there must be hundreds of users who have AVICs on their vehicles of older stature.

Any assit on this would be greatly appreciated... TIA! :)

~Keith

There are VSS wires associated with the cruise control if you've got it, as well as the power steering, if you've got it. That's all I know. I haven't been able to learn which wires specifically, though the topic comes up from time to time on mr2oc.com.