AVIC411.com

D3 backup camera question

I have a D3 in route and I am considering a backup camera. I don't want to use it as a backup camera yet, I want to keep tabs on my child with it for now.

My question is this: can I wire the camera up to the D3's switched power so it is on when I have the ignition on, and then put a switch in-line for me to flip to check on my child? Will the camera then come on when I give it power through the switch? Thanks, I'm a rearview camera noob.

I have a D3 in route and I am considering a backup camera. I don't want to use it as a backup camera yet, I want to keep tabs on my child with it for now.

My question is this: can I wire the camera up to the D3's switched power so it is on when I have the ignition on, and then put a switch in-line for me to flip to check on my child? Will the camera then come on when I give it power through the switch? Thanks, I'm a rearview camera noob.

I just had my D3 installed yesterday, I discovered (unlike my N2) that if you select rear view on the "maps" it will show you a full screen shot of rear view, instead of split navi like the N2. So you wouldn't need a switch...

Thats what switching the polarity does. Say whatever back-up signal you tie into is +. Then when the AVIC "see's" +, the camera comes on. This would be the "Battery" option.

If you put it to "Ground" option then the camera will always be on, because the signal will be always grounded i.e. not in back-up. When you put your car into Reverse, then your Nav screen will display.

Its in the manual.

why would he want to switch the polarity.? then it would always be in camera on mode, and he could only navi in reverse. i dont think thats what he's lookig for.

you most post like 100 times a day misfit! The gap between my posts and your posts is shrinking by the second.

he just wants to to flip the the cam on now and then to check the kid without having to play around with buttons on the screen. yes it would make more sense to it through the menu, but if he wants a switch, let him use a switch

why would he want to switch the polarity.? then it would always be in camera on mode, and he could only navi in reverse. i dont think thats what he's lookig for.

you most post like 100 times a day misfit! The gap between my posts and your posts is shrinking by the second.

and your point is?

he just wants to to flip the the cam on now and then to check the kid without having to play around with buttons on the screen. yes it would make more sense to it through the menu, but if he wants a switch, let him use a switch

I read it wrong. I was thinking that he wanted it in rear-view all the time. My apologies.