AVIC411.com

Honda element factory sub woofer

Guest jjpsuperdad

I did it in a Honda Ridgeline. The Factory Subwoofer needs an amp number one, Problem is that Honda uses a 2.5 ohm Sub, so the amp you use must support this resistance. I used an Alpine 7340 (no longer made) it supports 2 ohm, I then connected the AMP to the factory wireing. Works fine.
  • 7 years later...

well since i was searching and found the solution for this, i figured i would drop the knowledge for anybody else that needs the info.

YOU DO NOT NEED ANOTHER AMP FOR THIS>

you just need to give the factory amp the correct signal, first off, you shouldn't be hooking the new head units speaker wires up to the honda harnesses speaker wires directly, since this car has an amp, they need to be signal level, not amplified levels, this should be done with a premium sound interface.

but more importantly, you need to solder a RCA connector, to the sub input wires then plug it into the radio's sub output. there is a small black 8 pin harness with three wires (red/blue, red/white, and pink/black) the positive end of the rca connector needs to go to the red/blue wire, and the negative rca wire needs to go to the red/white wire in the honda harness.  you dont need to do anything with any other wires, done

now enjoy a new radio and a working factory sub.

here is the premium sound interface I used (basically a 4ch Line Output Converter)

post-27143-0-18336200-1373498972_thumb.jpg

and here is the wires i tapped into with the RCA connector.

post-27143-0-37344600-1373499000_thumb.jpg

I will say the even with the sub output turned up all the way on the radio, the output level is kinda low, so i turned the level adjustments down a little bit further than i normally would to even out the sound, radio still gets plenty loud when on the higher side of the volume knob, and sounds real good after playing around with the settings for a bit.  using the HPF to filter all of the bass out of the door speaker really allowed it to play pretty clear at higher volume since the sub handles those freqs anyways.