AVIC411.com

stupid friend of mine. a story

[quote name="949"] [quote name="edrock200"] It will not record MP3 files or music from CD-Rs or CD-RW.[/quote]

this part makes it sound like as long as its not from a r or rw that i will record but i wouldnt know of what other types of media there could be anyways.[/quote]

OK correction, an MP3 data disc on any medium cannot be copied to the hard drive, only CDDA audio CD's.
  • 1 month later...
[quote name="edrock200"] [quote name="949"] [quote name="edrock200"] It will not record MP3 files or music from CD-Rs or CD-RW.[/quote]

this part makes it sound like as long as its not from a r or rw that i will record but i wouldnt know of what other types of media there could be anyways.[/quote]

OK correction, an MP3 data disc on any medium cannot be copied to the hard drive, only CDDA audio CD's.[/quote]

I hate to beat a dead horse here... but when it comes to technology, I try to keep up. Essentially, when I make a CD (CD-R) with data, I can fit up to about 200 data files (MP3s), depending on size. However, I can create a "normal" CD also, writing the files to disc as music files, not data files, and can fit (on a good day!) about 17 songs on it.

Am I to understand this discussion to say that I can rip the "music" MP3s (from the latter-made CD) to my Z1, but I cannot rip the "data" MP3s to the Z1.

Well, kinda sorta, but you're a little fuzzy around the edges.

If I understand you correctly what you're calling a "music mp3" is not an mp3, it is [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Book_%28audio_CD_standard%29]an uncompressed PCM file which has 2 channels (stereo) and is recorded at 44hz (a sample is taken 44 times a second) at a 16-bit depth (each sample can represent 65,536 different values)[/url]. That kind of CD is the kind you buy in a store or burned from as an "audio" cd. It can be put in any CD player and it will work (some players do have problems with CD-R's and/or CD-RW's).

What you're calling a "data mp3" is simply an MP3 and is highly compressed so is much smaller than the PCM file. This kind of CD requires a CD player or device that supports the MP3 format.

Technically any file is a "data" file but since the CDDA standard is specifically designed for music data files this format is called an "audio cd" and follows the Red Book standard. The disk full of mp3s is called a "data disk" and follows the Yellow Book standard. Video CD's would follow the White Book standard.

CD Standards: [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-ROM#Standards[/url]

How that clears things up a little.
[quote name="Cirbirus"]Well, kinda sorta, but you're a little fuzzy around the edges.

If I understand you correctly what you're calling a "music mp3" is not an mp3, it is [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Book_%28audio_CD_standard%29]an uncompressed PCM file which has 2 channels (stereo) and is recorded at 44hz (a sample is taken 44 times a second) at a 16-bit depth (each sample can represent 65,536 different values)[/url]. That kind of CD is the kind you buy in a store or burned from as an "audio" cd. It can be put in any CD player and it will work (some players do have problems with CD-R's and/or CD-RW's).

What you're calling a "data mp3" is simply an MP3 and is highly compressed so is much smaller than the PCM file. This kind of CD requires a CD player or device that supports the MP3 format.

Technically any file is a "data" file but since the CDDA standard is specifically designed for music data files this format is called an "audio cd" and follows the Red Book standard. The disk full of mp3s is called a "data disk" and follows the Yellow Book standard. Video CD's would follow the White Book standard.

CD Standards: [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-ROM#Standards[/url]

How that clears things up a little.[/quote]

Well, that clears up the definitions of what I refer to as MP3 data vs. MP3 music. However, it doesn't answer my original question, which was: which, if either, can the Z1 rip? :D

Thanks for the info.
The Z1 will play mp3 cd's in the cd drive but will NOT transfer the MP3's to the hard drive.

The Z1 will play audio cd's (wether you buy them or you make them at home by transfering your MP3's into an audio CD (generally 74 minutes of music...music, not data) and will rip them to the hard drive automatically.

The Z1 will NOT take your MP3 (data) CD's and transfer them to the hard drive.

So, basically, the iTunes library and MP3 archive of thousands of hours of music is useless to the Z1 until you make those MP3's and AAC's into music and make audio CD's out of them and then rip them back to the Z1's hard drive. Or you simply play MP3 discs in the Z1's drive.
[quote name="Scooter80"]The Z1 will play mp3 cd's in the cd drive but will NOT transfer the MP3's to the hard drive.

The Z1 will play audio cd's (wether you buy them or you make them at home by transfering your MP3's into an audio CD (generally 74 minutes of music...music, not data) and will rip them to the hard drive automatically.

The Z1 will NOT take your MP3 (data) CD's and transfer them to the hard drive.

So, basically, the iTunes library and MP3 archive of thousands of hours of music is useless to the Z1 until you make those MP3's and AAC's into music and make audio CD's out of them and then rip them back to the Z1's hard drive. Or you simply play MP3 discs in the Z1's drive.[/quote]

Understood. So MP3-CDs ("data" MP3s) can be played but not ripped. MP3-CDs ("music" MP3s) can be ripped like any other CD.

When playing an MP3 "data" CD, is it possible to use a folder/directory structure and navigate that with the Z1? That may be asking for too much from it.

I'm getting it tomorrow. DucatiBoy's Z1-FC arrived today.
I can be a little technology challanged compared to others, but this is the way I look at this:

What you call an mp3 is a data file. Period. Just like a Word document. The fact that the program you use to "open" it creates music is meaningless...it's still a data file. The Z1 hard drive will not accept these file extensions and even if you could, the software program to process these files is incapable of reading them from the hard drive....at this time. Work is in progress.

Now, when you convert the mp3 data file to a music (audio) file, it no longer has the mp3 file extension and is indeed in a format that the Z1 can use and play. It is now an audio file....not a data file....and is MUCH larger in size. Don't confuse the two...and audio file...even one created by converting an mp3 data file...is not an mp2 file any longer.

That's how I assess it and look at it. Hope that helps.
[quote name="03Aviator"]I can be a little technology challanged compared to others, but this is the way I look at this:

What you call an mp3 is a data file. Period. Just like a Word document. The fact that the program you use to "open" it creates music is meaningless...it's still a data file. The Z1 hard drive will not accept these file extensions and even if you could, the software program to process these files is incapable of reading them from the hard drive....at this time. Work is in progress.

Now, when you convert the mp3 data file to a music (audio) file, it no longer has the mp3 file extension and is indeed in a format that the Z1 can use and play. It is now an audio file....not a data file....and is MUCH larger in size. Don't confuse the two...and audio file...even one created by converting an mp3 data file...is not an mp2 file any longer.

That's how I assess it and look at it. Hope that helps.[/quote]

Got it. Thanks. One last related question: When the Z1 rips a store bought CD, it used the CDDB data on the CD to import information to the HU. What data, if any, will the Z1 "find" on a burned CD? Can I use the "idTag" information (acessible through an MP3 player like WinAmp)feature to create this information for the Z1 to import?

Thanks!
[quote name="thisiszachary"]
When playing an MP3 "data" CD, is it possible to use a folder/directory structure and navigate that with the Z1? That may be asking for too much from it.

[/quote]

Yes, the Z1 will navigate your folder system up to eight levels.

Yes, the Z1 will also read your "ID3" tag system encoded on your mp3 discs.
It can display:
Disc Title
Track Title
Folder Title
File Name
Artist Name
Genre
Release Year

only when encoded in the mp3's and the disc.