AVIC411.com

GPS Antenna's metal plate...

hey folks, i was reading the manual, and somewhere in the middle it said the GPS antenna's metal plate that the antenna magnetizes to actually helps reception...i thrown mine's away (tried to peel it off, wrinkled), but somehow i'm thinking that the effects are very little. can anyone pitch in on the necessity of that plate? thanks.

It depends on how the antenna is mounted.

If its mounted on another piece of 3x3 metal, like a support bar it will probably matter very little.

But if its mounted on plastic or something, I would recommend getting one of those plates. It should help a nice amount.

I saw that too after I did my install.

My antenna is mounted on plastic using velcro, under the front dash, pushed way forward almost near the windshield and pressed up against the dash.

I'm getting anywhere from 6 to all 8 satellites at all times whenever I have a clear view of the sky.

Check your connection status. You need minimum 3 satellites for 3D Hybrid.

I'm not planning on using the magnetic pad.

well aside from the satellites, you also have the signal strength meter, which is the green antenna icon next to the satellites. i get on average...a low 2 (meaning jumps between 1 and 2) bars out of 3. i mounted the GPS antenna on top of my front dash near the a-pillar, which is plastic, aside from the a-pillar itself. i might try to find the metal plate to buy just for the sake of following the manual...

...anyone know where i can get another one of those metal plates?

For what its worth, I mounted the antenna, upside down, stuck to the roof above the headlinerinside the car. The antenna is just above the overhead map light in my 07 honda. I get 5 to 6 on my strength meter. I don't see any ill affects so far. Since its stuck to the roof, the whole car seems to be amplifying the signal.